1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3.6 problems (with v7)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xWeaselx, Aug 4, 2003.

1. xWeaselx

xWeaselx Member

I recently installed a magic 3.6 chip (got it from chipzone) and now when I try starting up nothing loads. I starts up fine and I can open the DVD tray but it never goes further then that. If I don't put in a DVD and try to start nothing happens and the setup screen never appears. Sometimes the DVD won't even spin when I put a game in.

Does anyone know what possibly might be wrong? Is it a chip issue or a connection problem from the DVD to motherboard? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

2. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

all i would suggest is check all point with a voltmeter and make sure there are no bridges and also make sure you dont have a fake chip and if all fails take it to a pro

3. pwav

pwav Member

I installed my Magic 3.1 this weekend and when I started it up, the audio was there but no video. I reopened my PS2 and rechecked that all wires go to the right locates (which they were) but on the underside of the motherboard, I noticed that 3 wires that I soldered in were bridging over a trace. I have an industrial stereo microscope that zooms in at 80x. I went ahead and fixed the 3 wires that were bridging and now it works.

Make sure all wires go to where their suppose to go, avoid solder bridging and cold solder. Took me six hours to solder 22 wire joints. Also use paste flux in soldering connections.

Also use a heavier gauge wires (24 awg)for the +5v and ground while using regular 30 awg for the rest of the connections on the mod chip.