1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAGIC 3 CHIP, + OR –

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hotaspie, Feb 10, 2003.

1. hotaspie

hotaspie Member

Hey,

I have a v7 console and I am currently in the process of getting a Magic 3 chip. However, because they are quite expensive $200 AUS, I want to make sure that I can copy ps2 games before I do.

I have a RICOH MP5125A burner, which writes onto DVD+R/RW.

I have currently looked at the magic 3 chip, and in its description, it tells me that it plays DVD-R/RW. I know that you can play +’s on V5-V7.

My question to you, if you can help me: Will the Magic 3 chip play +’s, even though it says in its description it only plays –R/RW (but it didn’t say that it doesn’t play +R/RW)

Thanks a whole heap

2. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

Hmmmm......I backup onto DVD+ and my V3 PS2 plays the games fine. I have the really old Neo 2.2 which require an Action Replay swap so I can't imagine a Magic chip would not play them. It aint much of a mod if it doesn't as your v7 console will read the + format fine. It might be worth going for a Messiah 2 instead as that definitely plays them (my friend has one) and is generally viewed as being a better, more reliable mod. However, it costs a little more.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

With V7 you can play either DVD+R or -R
    +R's are all I have.
    I had a 3.0 and now a 3.1 with about 50 backups on DVD+R's

Be sure you get a 3.1 not a 3.0 if you are going to get a Magic. There are probably re-sellers who want to unload their stock of 3.0's

I wouldn't recommend RW's since the refectivity is lower and your PS2 will have to work harder to read.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I would say forget the 3.0 and get a 3.1(if oyu havent ordered it allready) it is max 15 $ more

as for annihilon I think you are reading your model number wrong because v3 dose not support +r

5. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

"as for annihilon I think you are reading your model number wrong because v3 dose not support +r"

Well, my machine is a UK Pal and has SCPH30003 on the back of it plus 10 screws holding it together. This, as far as I knew, means V3. Is this correct? If so, your statement above is incorrect as I have over 20 DVD+r backups and they all work.

6. c7015

c7015 Regular member

10 screws would make it a 3 but all of the specs say that v3's cant (ie modchip.ca and there are other postings)

it might have somehtign to do with the pal or maybe it is a late modle 3 whatever it is you got lucky

7. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

Yep, I agree. I have seen numerous notes/messages on the net saying that V3's do not read DVD+ and I was a bit worried as I brought my Philips DVDRW228 without finding out if there was any issues. This meant much nail biting while backing up MGSII, but it worked fine - even with all the movies. As you said, it might be a PAL feature.

8. c7015

c7015 Regular member

what mod chip do you have ?

and is there anyone else who has a version 3 and can play dvd+r or dvd+rw disc's

(or a version 4 for that matter)

9. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

I think I have a neo 2.2. I have to do the Action Replay swap bollocks to get the backups to work but work they do. Maybe the fact they work has something to do with the chip. However, the DVD's of video captures off my camcorder I have made also play when burned onto DVDr+. Strange.