1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3 installation Help!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Satty, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Satty

Satty Guest

Hi,
    I recently ordered the Magic 3 chip I am having great difficulty installing the chip, i'm using an 22swg solder and an 18watt
    soldering iron and i cannot install the points (I, H, G, D, C, B)they are
    to small. (a lot smaller showen in link) http://www.playstationchip.co.uk/magic3v3.jpg
    my ps2 is a version 3 can any one help me!!

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

I think you will find what you need if you just look through the previous threads. I used a 12 watt pencil type Iron. Large Irons are hard to use. Use 30 gauge wire. Ask for wire wrap wire. I just use standard 40/60 rosin core solder just a very small diameter about the same as the wire with the insulation. Rosin flux (paste or liquid) is helpful. Eye loop or head mounted magnifier glass is I think a must. At least is is for my old eyes. Prepare the copper pads on the board with solder first.
    Keep tip prepared with solder. When you solder to the chip, if you can get just a very small dab of solder on the tip it's a breeze. The trick is not getting too much on the iron. I am sure others use different techniques that also work just as well.