1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

magic 3 solder to chips

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jr_, Dec 14, 2002.

1. jr_

jr_ Guest

Having problems soldering wires to chip. Any tips would be appreciated. Very hard to do without getting a solder bridge.

2. gup

gup Member

hi jr
    could you please let me know where to get the magic 3 chip from
    gup

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

I still don't have the one from modchip.com I ordered another from extreme-mods.com and got it in about 4 days. However they don't provide the wires just the chip. I think having the right size wires pre-tined is a big help. modchip.com is in Hungary and the delivery is a problem. Try www.modchip.ca they provide the wires pre-cut and trimed. I am going have to wait until monday and go to an electronics store to get the correct wire. I tried to use some out of cat5 ethernet cable. Was ok until I got to the part where you solder directly to the chip. These are just too big.

5. tkjalj

tkjalj Member

Hey jr,

Is the wire you have from the cat5 cable stranded or solid? If it is stranded, you can use it. That is what i used. I just strip the coating, then spread the wires apart and cut away a few of them and tin what few you have left and you are good to go. This is what I did. Worked good for me.

6. tkjalj

tkjalj Member

Hey jr,

Is the wire you have from the cat5 cable stranded or solid? If it is stranded, you can use it. That is what i used. I just strip the coating, then spread the wires apart and cut away a few of them and tin what few you have left and you are good to go. This is what I did. Worked good for me.