1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic 3 Soldering Help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nosferatu, Dec 24, 2002.

1. nosferatu

nosferatu Member

I've got the Magic 3 chip and have everything installed except for a few points, if anyone is familiar these points are Q,T,U,V,R and G,H,D,I on the other side of the board. They seem to be copper points and my 15 & 25 watt soldering iron won't seem to get the solder to stick to these points. All the other connections are firm but I can't seem to get these almost copper points to stick.

Anyone who has completed this chip have any suggestions on what I can do to make it work? Do I need a certain type of solder? This is for the V7 Playstation 2 board that I am testing at the moment.

If anyone can post here or email me with help, it would be greatly appreciated: nosferatu@hawaii.rr.com

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

3. SLR

SLR Guest

I've completed 2 of these mods and never had a problem with the solder. I gently scraped the copper pads with a razor blade first and then applied a coating of flux. Provided the iron is then hot enough the solder flowed onto the pads perfectly. The excess flux is then wiped off.
    Hope this helps.

4. nosferatu

nosferatu Member

I should try the flux I think, although Im not to sure what to ask for. I generally purchase my supplies from Radio Shack, do you know what I should be looking for?

I've done the scraping of the points to try and help with regular solder but it doesnt stick, I hope the flux will help.

Thanks again everyone!

5. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Flux flux flux!

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Supleh2 and SLR have the right answer to make it a bit easier. Flux helps "pull" in the solder and makes a stronger connection to the board. There are different types like liquid or paste etc. try either one it's worth it weight. Dexter

Last edited: Dec 26, 2002