1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

magic 4 chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jdh, Feb 6, 2003.

1. jdh

jdh Member

i bought a magic 4 chip on sunday at a computer fair, i was told it is the latest one however i can't find any diagrams for it and there is no mention of this chip in this forum. having searched the net, the only info i can find is about an 'nh3 magic 4' chip that is different to the one i have. mine looks very much like the magic 3, but the chip is marked 'magic 4' and the pcb is a different colour. the connections are all the same as the magic 3 as far as i can make out from pictures i have found on the net, however there are also four unmarked pads on the reverse of the pcb. is this the case with the magic 3? i have a v7 machine and have tried connecting it in the same way as the magic 3 instructions, leaving the four unmarked pads alone. the chip did not work, and i have tried checking and reassembling the machine 3 times, having disconnected certain contacts and soldering firmer joins. the only mistake i made was breaking the little yellow thingy for the s connection, however i've just about got that to stick now.
    the machine fails to load either playstation 1 or playstation 2 backups on cdr media.
    it works fine with playstation 1 and playstation 2 original media.
    i read somewhere that the s connection affects psone games, does the fact that originals work have any indication thet this point is soldered correctly?
    basically, i need to know if i have a)followed unsuitable instructions and therefore have a chip that is not connected porperly, or b) have connected to the right points and made an error with my soldering.
    phew.
    any experts out there?
    anyone used one of these chips / know of its existence?
    anyone able to point out the purpose of each individual pin from the chip?
    thanks in advance.

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

No connections on reverse side on the Magics I have. These are probably for testing.
    Sorry I just have no idea what a Magic 4 is.

Someone said they bought a Messiah and it was marked Magic 4 on the back.

3. jdh

jdh Member

cheers jr. the only marking on mine (apart from the connection points which are the same as the magic 3) is a black print on the chip itself which says magic 4...

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

Well it's not a Messiah if the connections are the same as a Magic. I would guess it's just someone making another clone of the Magic 3 or 3.1 and calling it a Magic 4