1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V 50k Install Pictures

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Webshark, May 13, 2004.

1. Webshark

Webshark Member

I'm looking for some pictures of a Magic V 50k installation in a V9 PS2. If anyone has any or knows where I could take a look at some please let me know. I'm wanting to know how some other people routed the wires and would just like to see a few working installs.

Thanks,
    Webshark

2. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  3. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

BTW - I have now uploaded 3 pictures of the MagicV 50k in a V9 (just ignore the reset point - should have been the eject point.)

4. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]+[/bold][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004
  6. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

ummm... he wanted to see actaul installs for placement etc - not install diagrams for points...

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Ok.

If you had an extra 5 seconds to observe the diagram I posted, you would see the recomended placement of this chip, just like all other Magic V chips.

Just a question for you:

What gives you the background all of a sudden to critigue my posts?

I have been helping people on this forum for almost a year now regarding the installation of their chips.

If you have a diagram to share, you should just link it to the discussion instead of leaving a dead link to one.

Unfortunately your account graduated to 'junior member' status based on the number of useless posts and reposts you have made in the last couple of months and you are definately rubbing other members the wrong way.

If you have something useful to contribute, find another way to go about it - because as experienced as you think you are on the topic, you are still a newbie according to this topic.

Thanks

8. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

umm brad - guess again - 8 years on the scene - does not make me a newbie just because I have only joined here in the last 4 weeks.

A simple typo that has been corrected - added .au for some unknown reason to the url - all fixed now.

Edit: BTW - thanks for letting me know - was not helping webshark much with the dead link either! strange thing is I was sure I checked that link after posting it

My comment was short due to lack of time - I will complete it now - webshark was also after where to route wires as well - hence posting Magic's official install diagram which one would have to assume webshark would have already - is not really helpful.

I would assume if you are the owner of modchip.ca then you may have some more useful pictures to post actually showing what he was looking for.

BTW - a link is much nicer than an imbedded picture - saves slowing down the thread with longer load times.

useless posts and reposts? why are you attempting to slander me? I have done nothing but try and help people here in the last 4 weeks.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Athlon XP3000+ (1GB RAM)
    Leadtech NVIDIA FX 5900 ultra
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laser.html
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/ps2tips.htm[/small]

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  9. Webshark

Webshark Member

ShadowNyt you're right, I did have the diagram already. I don't know why brad1102 is being so critical of you, you have helped me out a great deal. But like he mentioned about you, if you're a newbie, then I'm really a newbie (to this site anyway).

I've installed a few mod chips before, but it always helps to see how working mods have routed the wires, since different chips have wires that interfere with one another. I've found that the more working installs I study, the more likely mine will work the first time.

I haven't read any other posts of ShadowNyt so I wouldn't be able to comment on brad's observence, but from being a senior member of the www.virtualdr.com forum I know that good forums are based on people helping each other and getting along.

Thanks for the pics ShadowNyt. Brad, if you know of a place I could find some more I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
    Web

10. Webshark

Webshark Member

ShadowNyt, a couple of things:

I've been looking at the pics of the install on your site, by the way they look great; and I was wondering what kind of camera you took those with. Also, I noticed you soldered A through I to the top of the board directly on the main processor. In all of the diagrams I've seen for the Magic V 50k they show soldering these points on the back.

When I installed a DMS3 for a V9 PS2 I saw several pictures of people who had soldered directly to the main processor instead of the back of the board. DMS also shows the solder points on the back of the board as well. I was wondering how you know what posts to solder the wires to and if you found soldering to the chip easier than the back. I used the spots on the back when I installed the DMS3 chip, which was difficult at first, but once I got the hang of it I didn't have any trouble.

Thanks again for the pics.

Later,
    Web

11. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

The points on the chip legs are where the vias connect through to.

I traced them out using a multi-meter.

I use them alternately now - i.e. every second leg as the skill required to do consequtive legs is great and time consuming.

I used them initially to keep wire length as short as possible and because I found scraping the vias to be hit and miss for providing good solder joints.

I have since bought an etch / scribing pen that scrapes vias easily and safely.

It comes down to personal preferences in the end. And the points are the same for all chips just the DMS labels them differently.

I have created an installation instruction set for the BlueX-5 in the V9 that shows all these points clearly (same ones can be used for the magic series)

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/PS2_V9_BlueX-5.zip

And yeah - I am no newbie - had over 1700 quality posts at ps2newz before they bowed out - and if brad has been in the scene long - he would have heard of shadowknyght before, a google search proves my "newbie"ness :)))))))

12. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

oh sorry - missed the camera question.

I have 2 - an older one for quick lower detail shots (was used say for the Magic3.1 picture)

The 2.1MP Cannon PowerShot S10

Then for the real shots I use my Minolta Dimage7i 5.1MP (7 x optical zoom) on a tripod. Has manual focus which the cannon lacks.

I reduce the size for web posting to only 1600 x 1200 @ 75% quality - normal res is around 2560 x 1920 (3MB jpgs)

It was a souviner from my Singapoor honeymoon

13. Webshark

Webshark Member

I had another question for you ShadowNyt. What do you use to hold the wires to the board? I've tried hot glue before, which didn't work very well for me. I then tried super glue, which worked better, but you'd have to hold the wire right to the board for about two minutes before it would stick and then most of the time I'd just end up gluing myself to the board.

So far I've been most successful with a little super glue and some thick double-sided tape (the kind with the smooth plastic you can peel off of one side). Just wondering what you've found to work best.

14. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I use Loctite 401 which is pretty much just super glue.

I use a pin to apply tiny amounts and thus it dries within seconds and reduces the chance of ending up with a built in PS2 on your hands.. :)

I have used double sided tape once... but found you needed to use it plus super glue to keep the wires attached - so decided to just stick with the glue.

Hot glue is ok - but messy and not that flat - but lots of people use it so...

Personally I tend to only need to fix the longer wires down flat as all the rest of mine are so short that there is no need.

In the end it realy comes down to personal preference and what works better and easier for you. (just don't use huge globs of super glue... ;)

15. Webshark

Webshark Member

Success! I just finished the mod and it worked the first time playing a PS2 backup. The only problem is that I can't get PS1 originals, PS1 backups, or DVDs to play. I know Magic tells you to hold down the reset button until the blue eject light comes on, but that's not working. Do you know what I should try?

I ended up using just a couple of pieces of mounting tape (it was mounting tape and not double-sided tape I used before) to put on top of the chip and on top of another chip to make sure the wires didn't interfere with the chips.

I'll post the finished mod pic. I decided to go with the back of the console, since that's what I'd done before and that what Magic suggests. Thanks for all of your help ShadowNyt.

By the way, my pictures did look a lot better, but I had to crunch them down to 500kb or less and 96 pixels/inch or less in order to post them.

http://www.eseephoto.com/view_album.php?albumid=008f6a5139447bf3611b

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  16. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

That would be because you need to use the eject button to get DVD and PS1 movies working - unlike all other stations the V9 and 10 turned themselves off again if you held the reset button down long enough to disable chips so most chips that still use a button held for 5 seconds to enter disable mode now use the eject button to select modes other than PS2.

17. Webshark

Webshark Member

How do you mean? How would I use the eject button to start? Does that mean that I can't play PS1 backups, or how would I load them?

Thanks

Never mind, holding down the eject button worked for everything (what would I do without you). Thanks a million for all your help.

I don't care what brad says, you've helped me out tremendously!

By the way, how do you think the install looks? I changed the link, just in case you couldn't get directly to the photos (know of any good free sites where I could upload the high quality photos).

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  18. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I think the install looks realy good.

I would just be careful on how you angle the connections to the vias - keep them as flat to the main baord as possible and glue them in place - then cover them with electrical tape as the metal plate sits very close in that location.

BTW- I like the red double sided tape... :)

19. Webshark

Webshark Member

Thanks for the advice. I've got a little problem. The console doesn't seem to want to load PS2 blue disc games (the ones with blue on the underside). Everything else it does, but I've tried two different blue discs and neither one will play.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Web

20. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I have read this before somewhere... not sure if it is the MagicV that can't handle blue disks or if there is a small additional mod you have to do to get it working... maybe Brad may be able to help with this one as he seems to be a distributor of the magic series.