1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAGIC V and Version 7 ps2. PROBLEMS!! Help please!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bigshogun, May 2, 2004.

1. bigshogun

bigshogun Member

hey guys,

Well this chip is acting up again....

now the problems is it wont play back-ups or original games when the chip is awake. but once its in sleep it will play originals.

i get teh Please insert a original ps2 error. my ps2 was working fine with the chip in today until my sister played some FFx-2. then she said she got tired of it and shut the ps2 off.

and then i decided to play some SSX3 and bam! no games would boot.

any idea wat the problem is? did a solder point come off? or is the chip gone or is it my laser?

im so lost.. i dont wanna take it apart b4 i get some help. please Email or respond or Instant Message me. this is getting me annoyed as fcuk.

Let me also mention that IT was working fine with the magic v chip, but all of a sudden it stoped working after my sister played with it. she did not Drop it or anything just shut it off.

thanks in advance

2. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I would suggest you have a dry joint or a loose wire...

especially if originals play fine with the chip disabled and not with it enabled...

Either that or it was wired incorrectly, the wire is being crushed due to poor re-assembly or the chip is faulty.

3. bigshogun

bigshogun Member

wat do you mean by dry joint?

4. WEStar

WEStar Active member

I'd be assuming he means a joint where it looks like it soldered properly but it actually didn't.

5. modsRus

modsRus Member

yeah.... something with one of your connections. That guy on AOL, that you were consulting, you can check with him for more help if you need. You been having problems with this machine awhile now, and I have found that when it gives problems like that, then it may be easier to just re-install chip than going in and out looking for the problem. Going in and out too much can add to your problems.

6. modsRus

modsRus Member

I have had occations where I install, and it looks so good, yet it was only one faulty wire. I did test after test and could not isolate problem. I used my multi-meter, test my wires and all seemed good.Luckily for me, my problem was with the DVD and that problem is usually the result of three particular wires. I just replaced the 3 and it started to work. These wires tested good before, but for some reason, there was a prob with one.

Take my advice....I know it's not a easy thing to make up your mind to do but re-install.

7. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

Sorry for the technical lingo...

Yeah a dry joint is where you get the resin / flux from the solder coating the wire or connection point so that the solder does not actually bond. the wire can be held very firmly and a multimeter check usually lies and says there is a good connection as when you apply pressure with the probe of the meter it makes one.

Dry joints occur more commonly with older wires or points that have oxidised partially making them harder to bond with the solder. Also with thicker single cored wires as was the case with my situation - typically though a good visual check will be enough for you to see - if the solder appears to curve or bubble near the joint instead of flowing on both surfaces then you most likely will have a dry joint.

Options:
    1) use new or thinner wire
    2) turn up the heat on your iron
    3) scrape the points or use flux.
    4) Tin both the wire and the point prior to attempting to solder together

8. bigshogun

bigshogun Member

Hey,

MY HUMBLE APPOLOGIES GUYS!!

call me mr. Panic's-a-lot.

so my finals are over and i decide to take my ps2 apart and really see wat the hell is wrong with it. well the "V" wire came out. the F$$Ker. its above rite above the R Wire. well ill post some pics of my isntall that i forgot to take. hope you guys enjoy them.

anyways so i resoldered that and tested the ps2 out. Wat do u know Works fine. Excpet it reads like 3 games at a really slow speed.

9. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

check the media for finger prints or scratches - also don't use cheap media.

Lastly you may want to clean your lens (see my sig for how to's)

10. bigshogun

bigshogun Member

yeah i cleaned the lense with Isopropynal or rubbing alcohol that came with my camera cleaning kit. but it's still loading slow.. o well i wont play those games anyways.