1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAGIC V HELP... BLACK SCREEN

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rockon92, Mar 17, 2004.

1. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Hey everyone,
    i just installed a magic V and when i turn it on everything seems fine, the browser screen comes up and it seems like the ps2 is going to load a game but it just turns into a black screen, the playsation 2 logo doesn't come up or anything. It will only play audio cd's, i need desperate help and any answer would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. fly_low

fly_low Member

insulate the R wire from the modchip either by wraping it several times with a grounded wire or by sliding a thicker jacket over the whole wire. also keep it away from other wires.

3. rockon92

rockon92 Member

alright, can you use electrical tape to wrap around the wire?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Yes you can insulate it with electrical tape. Do any backups work at all? PS1, PS2 CD, PS2 DVD for example? What version is your PS2?

5. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Thanks for your reply, none of the originals work and i tried a backup ps2 game but that didn't work it does the same thing the orignals did, my ps2 version is v4, and yes i know that china-magic.com says that magic V is only compatable with v5-v6 models, but other websites (such as chipzone.com) provide images of the magic V for the v4. This is only suppost to work if you have 040 bios or above, and i have 040 bios. But i'll try to insulate thw R wire and see if that will work.

6. rockon92

rockon92 Member

also i noticed another weird thing, you know those balls of light in the browser screen, and they spin in a circle and stuff? Well i only have one big ball of light now and it doesnt move? did this happen to anyone before? Thanks

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The balls of light will not spin if the CMOS settings have been reset. Reset your clock and preferences to correct this. Also, the diagrams for the v4 Magic V that some sites are showing are actually altered Magic 3.1 diagrams and not legitimate. Compability is not guaranteed. The issues you have described are typical of people that have attempted this type of installation. The is no such thing as the Magic V being compabitle with a 040 BIOS.

8. rockon92

rockon92 Member

thanks for the quick response, did you ever hear of anyone successful with a v4 with a magic V?

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

No, I have heard of two other that have tried this type of install for reasons I will yet to understand and the best results I have seen yet is extremely unreliable booting of backups (approx. %25 success rate). The Magic V series mod chips use a new timing wire (point 'R') to correct a double-check issue with v7+ machines and this wire was not an issue with a v4 machine so it's kinda like applying a fix for something that wasn't broke. Each PS2 version has to have the boot code patched to the BIOS at different times which is what the timing wire is for. It senses when the PS2 is requesting a disc authentication then tells the mod to send the code. It is not capable of sensing the correct authentication timing on a v1-4 console which makes it unreliable. It sounds to me like your dealer mis-represented the chip as being compabible with your console. Never trust the dealer with regards to installation or compability issues. Always check with the manufacturer to confirm any of these questions. Sorry, but they sold you the wrong mod. The good news is if you got this far with the installation, you can get a Magic 3.1 pretty cheap and simply move the wires off of the Magic V to it. I believe that only 1-3 wires are different on the two chips.

10. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Thanks, I bought my mod off of modchip.ca and my model number is 30001-r, so I assumed it was a v5-6. I got the magic V in 2 days just as I ordered, and when I went to solder it I noticed the main board was different. I later found out it was a v4, so I emailed modchip.ca for a refund because I didn't open the silver package yet. They asked me for my date code (which is 1C) and they said I can still use the magic V on it because I have a 040 BIOS, and they sent me an image on where to install it. Also, it must work because modchip.ca and chipzone.com provide professional installations for the magic V if you have a ps2 v4 with a 040 BIOS or above.

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Note that when you go to the site they do not show any v4 installation diagram for the Magic V chip. This would suggest that they are aware that this chip is not the correct chip for your PS2 and they simply sent you a doctored diagram for a v4 that theoretically should work but isn't reliable otherwise they would make it readily available. This also suggests they are aware that china-magic does not support this configuration. Sounds to me like they just don't want to exchange your chip back.

12. inssain96

inssain96 Member

Any other fixes for the blank screen problem? I think I have the same issue; regular boot from standby results in blank screen, holding down reset results in boot screen then goes to "browser" screen. Will load no games at all...

I've routed the "R" wire a bit away from the others. Should I do something else? What else could be causing the black screen?

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What version PS2 do you have and which modchip are you installing? Do originals work anymore? How about PS1 mode, what does it do? Does everything work fine when you put the mod into sleep mode?

14. inssain96

inssain96 Member

V7 PS2, Magic V, Originals do not work, DVD-Rs do not work. PS1 Mode results in the same black screen. Holding reset down will bring up the original "Playstation" screen, then goes to "Browser/Config" screen. If There is an original game it goes to black screen from there, if there is a DVD-R it goes to " Please insert PS2 formatted Disk" screen.

thanks,
    Alex

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Try double-checking your connections to the BIOS, shorten the wires if possible and try to untangle them also. Cross-talk between the wires from being intertwined together seems to cause a lot of problems for people.

16. inssain96

inssain96 Member

Cool. Will try that.

Thanks.

17. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Hey i got somewhat good news, if i hold down the reset button until the sony computer entertainment logo comes up (or put the modchip in sleep mode) i can play original dvd's and ps2 games and such. I notice also if i dont put the chip in sleep mode and i play an audio cd, the cd plays fine for 10 seconds and then it starts to skip and freeze. I'm going to route the R wire and resolder it because its tangled with the other bios wires.

18. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Alright, heres where i'm at. I got the "R" wire well insulated with electrical tape and it is away from the other wires. Now when the modchip is activated, a original disc (ps2 or dvd) or a backup disc (ps2 or dvd) i put in a red screen comes up and it says please insert a playstation 2 format disc. Can anyone help me? Thanks

19. inssain96

inssain96 Member

IceMonkey, any insight? Can you explain your setup? I.e., how did you insulate your BIOS wires, etc?

And when you talk about the connections to the BIOS do you mean: M,N,O,P,Q,R,T,U and V

20. jsevold

jsevold Member

I had the clip kit for MagicV on my V7, and I had the same problem. I found the problem to be with the clipping of the bios wires, so some of the bios wires were not connected and this caused my similar problem. If you dont have the clip kit then i would make sure to check that your bios solders are clean.