1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V Issues. A little help plz.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Retarded, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Retarded

Retarded Member

OMG where should I start. Let me first say I have been trying to get this chip installed for about 4 months now. Everytime I reinstall it PS2 originals work great. I even got it to work for a day and a half for DVD-Rs and PS1 CD-Rs Only. Dont know how that happened. Ok here we go.

I believe the PS2 is a version 5 or 6. The one with the screw deal. To make a long story short. I have gotten to the point where the Tray will eject and go back in after about 5 sec. Guessing that is a normal function when the chip is working. I have also shielded the R wire with aluminum foil and put tape around it. Thats how I go the chip to work the first time for the whole day and a half.

Now the question. WIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! What is a good shielded wire to use? I think without a doubt this is my problem. Telephone wire is what I am using, But I think I may be getting alot of interfearance. Could that be my problem? Or will it matter what type of wire to use? The wire is probably like a 26-28 Gage. Ya rather big. But I can solder like a mofro. Now anyways. lol

Unfortunatly the little town I am in does not have a very good wire selection.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

screw the telephone wires.... get a roll of 30 guage wire or kynar wire. Find an online store and order from there if you can't find wire in your town.

3. Beerrun

Beerrun Member

Just go get some wrap wire from radio shack

4. fly_low

fly_low Member

I agree with WEStar. I use 32 guage solid wire and have never had problems. your probably having crosstalk issues with your IC's. using that size wire on the devices in the ps2 will cause interference. or impedence issues. What's the deal with the aluminum foil on the r wire. I understand the sheilding purpose but ive never heard of that issue. Also I believe for it to be properly "Shielded" the sheild has to be grounded, I could be wrong though. Let me know

5. WEStar

WEStar Active member

Kynar wire is the same thing as wire wrap ;)

6. fly_low

fly_low Member

did some research on the r wire. seems interference will affect timing of the chip. someone recomended soldering r wire to the other side of the pcb. use a meter to follow trace.

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

What I do for the R wire is just use black tape on the bottom and top of the routing to sheild it from cross signaling.

8. Retarded

Retarded Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan on ordering some 32 gage wire here shortly. Then I will give feedback on how it turned out.