1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V modchip install help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rockon92, Mar 8, 2004.

1. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Hey everyone, i need help installing my magic v modchip to my playstation 2 v4, date code 1C. I am having trouble installing the a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i connections. If you see the installation diagram, these are very tiny holes on the back of the ps2 mainboard. Does anyone have any installion tips to make a secure solder job? Any answer would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. account

account Guest

the magic V is not ment for v4 ps2 it is for 5 and up are you sure you have a magic V or is it a 3.1 and where did you get your diagram?

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

3. rockon92

rockon92 Member

4. account

account Guest

ok those are small holes i would suggest putting flux on each hole then taking a small and i mean small bit of solder and get it on one of the holes then it should be easy enough to just put the wires in the sodler and that should be all you need to do and try using a magnifing glass (i have one with a holder and it makes it easy to solder small points)

5. rockon92

rockon92 Member

yes i tried all of that, i've tried putting flux on it and i have used a magnifying glass but the problem is even with the flux the solder wont stick and modchip.ca sends pre-stripped wires with the modchip, and these wires are really thin, but they still wont fit in the holes, so i'm guessing i have no choice but to get it professionaly installed. I also emailed modchip.ca and they said use a fiberglass pen (they might have meant pin) to the prep, whatever that means.

6. account

account Guest

no it is a pen that they have im not to sure how it would work but you might want to get it installed if you can't get it.

7. ponder3

ponder3 Member

Be very careful, you have to scratch the coating off the via holes to the trace, then flux and add solder to the via be careful because I have the same problem but worse I lifted the barrel for E off the board. I have a magic v from chip zone rev 4 w/gap I am going to take the board to work remove to part to find the trace since i have no schematic so be careful and good luck you might search around for the 3.1 i seen it some where for $13 might be worth changing to that chip instead of the magic v

8. account

account Guest

what do you mean scrape off the coating i have done those points before without scraping anything off and it worked fine for me.
    and what did you use to scrape it off?

9. ponder3

ponder3 Member

It's like a nonconductive clear coating to proctect the copper from being expose to the elements

10. rockon92

rockon92 Member

What sould i scrap it off with? and how do i actually know if i'm scraping this stuff off? thanks.

11. ponder3

ponder3 Member

Use and x acto knife blade or a dental pick or try radio shack for some smaller wire that will fit into the hole the wire they sent me was to big for via..

JUST DON'T LEAVE SOLDERING IRON ON HOLE BUT 1 TO 2 SECONDS AT A TIME ANY LONGER THE VIA WILL LIFT OFF BOARD. BELIEVE ME I KNOW......

I recieved a e-mail from chipzone and guess what now they say i should have use the 3.1 chip.

I had to get 2 chips removed so i could find the circuit path and install a repair trace. So unless your work at a electronics place be very carefull. I just got my box back to normal operation and after spring break will try mod again. Kids get mad when the don't have any games to play. I'm trying to find somewhere that shows going chip to chip instead of those tiny little via hole

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Yes, the Magic 3.1 is the correct chip you should be using on a PS2 v4 or less. The Magic V is designed for v5 and up machines only and is identical in functionality to the 3.1 except for the double-check fix for v7 and up consoles. Some people have reported installing Magic V chips in v4 console with limited success only where they are either un-reliable or certain types of backups don't work such as CD etc.

13. rockon92

rockon92 Member

yeah but it is quite possible that the people who had limited success may have installed it wrong considering how small the holes are, and i found out to remove the clear stuff from these holes can be removed by using a fiberglass pen, modchip.ca said its the best way to actually install the wires

14. rockon92

rockon92 Member

it also says on chipzone.com that magic v installions are for v5-v10 boards, and v4 boards with 040 bios or above, and i have 040 bios and the people who installed the magic v in their v4 playstation probably didnt have 040 bios or above

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

According to the people who make the Magic chips, www.china-magic.com, the Magic V is only supported for v5-8 consoles and there are 2 other Magic V chips for the v9 and v10 consoles. They show no diagram for any v4 regardless of BIOS version as how it cannot properly auto-detect the v4 BIOS. Sorry, but I think you're largely on your own. You would still probably be better off installing the cheaper 3.1 chip as how it's identical in features to a Magic V when installed in a v4 console.

16. rockon92

rockon92 Member

yeah i would definately change to a 3.1 chip, but unfortunately the website i bought it off of wont accept any returns so i'm stuck with the magic v

17. jhatchett

jhatchett Member

You can get detailed diagrams of the install for the MagicV with the V4 PS2 at consolesource.com, I just recieved my PS2 back from professional install yesterday(I burned instructions and diagrams to CD-R and mailed motherboard and chip to so and so). All the functions of the chip seems to work fine (i.e. sleep mode, PS1, [bold]ORIGINAL[/bold] DVD's, ORIGINAL PS2). But as of right now no luck with backup, [bold]Looking for help,[/bold] how do I determin if I am using the wrong brand of media, or should I get a new laser. For DVD_R playback. V4 is kind of old.

18. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

As far as backup media goes, try burning Verbatim DVD-R at 1x. That should server as a conclusive test to see if your mod is working properly but I'll say this again: the diagram you referenced from consolesource.com is not an official China-Magic diagram and the makers of the chip do not support this installation. The Magic V chip adds a timing wire to the BIOS to defeat the double-check feature in the newer games and console, however, the v4 console does not support this feature or need this wire. I'm not sure if you should be connecting it or if the mod will work without it connected but this wire will definitely cause a problem if it is an issue.

19. jhatchett

jhatchett Member

Ok this is where I'm at, reguarding PS2 V4 with Magic5.
    I backedup the same game 3 different times using different combo's of protection search, and burn programs (i.e ClonyXXL, blindwrite 5, DVD decrip, gamejack4). All burned on same type of media. Upon completion, the browers reconized one backup as a PS2 game, but it would not load.
    Concolusion of test revieled Home PC not the problem.
    Next test different media (used same PS2 game).
    Used Memorex 2X DVD-R PS2 game backup(burned with DVD Decrip). PS2 browser reconized PS2 game, but would not load.
    Used Verbatim DVD-R PS2 game backup (burned with DVD Decrip). PS2 browser stated disk read error.
    Used TDK 2X DVD-R, DVD Movie back up (burned with ClonyDVD). PS2 browser stated disk read error.
    Concolusion of test revieled info on disk good, can not read disk? If info on disk were bad, red screen would come up in browser. Am I correct?? I think I have nailed the problem down to the laser. Please give your input.
    And how do you find out what bios is in the PS2.

20. rockon92

rockon92 Member

Check out your date code where your model number is, if it is 1C you should have the correct v4 for the magic V, on the main board on the bios chip it should say 040