1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V on PS2 v9 - how to turn off SLEEP mode??

Discussion in 'PS2' started by zedzed, Jan 8, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed Guest

I have been using a Magic V on a v9 PS2 (50001)

For a few weeks everything worked fine and then I wanted to play a DVD and so followed the instructions and put the chip into Sleep Mode.

Now I want to play backed up games again but I can't figure out how to "wake up" the chip.

Instructions on the WWW are very useless.

Could there be a chip problem if the thing does not want to wake up?

E-mail me at zidaric@idirect.ca

Thanks

Zed

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The Xbox is whore you can fusk any way you want[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
  2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

Magic V
    To put the modchip out of Sleep Mode, simply flip off the power switch at the rear the machine off for 3 seconds. (Note: Sleep Mode turns the modchip off)

Magic V 50K
    The Magic V 50K Modchip is disabled until it has been put back into Standby Mode and will boot normally.

found the info here http://www.modchip.ca/install/ps2/magic3/magicload.php

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]cd loader for the v7+ ps2 http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003/

cd loader for v1-6 ps2 http://www.tidusx.cjb.net/[/small]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  3. zedzed

zedzed Guest

Thanks for the help.

I have tried what you mentioned.

We did the following:

1. Turned off the PS2 via the switch at the back for about 15 seconds and then turned the box on. Backup disk was in the tray with tray closed. System boots up but then the "put in a PS2 formatted disk" screen comes up.

2. Put the system into standby mode by pressing the reset button and then turning on the system with a tap of the reset button. System boots up but does not read teh backup disk. We also tried turning on system by holding the reset button down for two seconds - until the blue light comes on and still no luck.

3. Put the PS2 into Standby Mode (red light) and press EJECT to open the disk tray. Insert the game into the disc tray and press EJECT or RESET to close the tray and boot the game.

None worked

Any other thoughts?
    This should be a simple procedure.

I don't think the install was done wrong because everything worked fine and still does work fine for DVDs and original games.

Is there any way that the modchip can be damaged by putting it to sleep or trying to incorrectly "wake it up"?

Zed
    _

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
  4. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold]To disable the Modchip Function (Sleep Mode), put the system into Standby Mode (red light). Press and hold EJECT for at least 5 seconds to open the disc tray. Insert the game or DVD Movie into the disc tray and press EJECT to close the tray. You can also tap RESET and the PS2 will remain in Sleep Mode and boot in-region original games and DVD Movies. (The game or DVD Movie must be the same as the PS2 Region). The Magic V 50K Modchip is disabled until it has been put back into Standby Mode and will boot normally.

5. zedzed

zedzed Guest

Thanks for the info.
    While these are the available directions found in many places - they do not work for me for some reason.

Do you have a Magic V 50k?
    Have you successfully put it into sleep mode and then back into operation?

Maybe it is a wiring problem?
    I found the following post
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/60668

Zed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2004
  6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

zedzed the only person i know of for certain that has a magic v 50k fitted in there ps2 is brad1102 it might be worth sending him a personal message and seeing if he can help

7. zedzed

zedzed Guest

I took apart teh PS2 yet again and followed the directions given by brad 1102 in

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65820

The R-wire was moved to the side to be away from the other lines. It was wrapped in black electrical tape.

Still no luck. The PS2 works fine for regular games but nothing for backups.

As I said previously - the mod worked fine for almost a month and then after put in sleep mode to watch a DVD it never woke up.

When trying to play a backup game, the screen goes to the reddish/orangish screen which says - "Insert a PS1 or PS2 formatted disk".

Is there any chance that the chip itself could be damaged? Is there a way to test it?

Zed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
  8. fly_low

fly_low Member

try removing the 3.3v power wire from the board leave it attached to the chip. touch disconnected power wire to any ground point. then reconnect power wire. this might reset the chip if its hanging in some weird state.

9. bdenbest

bdenbest Member

Hi Guys,

I would like to make a comment regarding this post.

I have installed 6 magicV/v9 chips in the last 2 months, ( it's amazing how many kids got PS2 for christmas, my son, 3 nepthews, 2 mates of my son ) of the 6 installs 2 did not work beleiving they were faulty chips I ordered/received replacements that also did not work, then my son's failed after 2 months of use.

At this point I was starting to beleive that these chips were of poor quality until I had a search of the internet ( what a wonderful thing this internet is sure does make the world smaller ).

After looking at this forum I have know made modifications to two PS2, what I did was used shielded wire for the "R" wire with the shield soldered to ground, guess what the 2 faulty chips now work perfectly and cannot be faulted.

It seems from my experience that some chips and/or PS2 are more touchy than others.

I would like to thank this forum for supplying a fix.

Regards

Brian