1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V Problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Icemonkey, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm in the process of installing a Magic V in a v8 PS2. The installation isn't a total failure as how the PS2 isn't ruined but I'm having strange issues. The machine boots up fine and in the broswer correctly detects CD and DVD backups but won't boot them. When I attempt to put the mod into PS1 mode, it still detects discs as PS2's in the browser. When I put into sleep mode, the PS2 behaves properly like it has not been modded. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Something a little more specific than the general check all your connections. I've done that countless times but I'm obviously missing something.

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

The problem is:

The 'R' wire from the right side of the bios is routed too close to the rest of the bios wires. This 'R' wire controls the bootup timing of the chip, and can pick up interference from just any other bios wire.

It needs to be routed away from the other wires, on the outer edge of the board.

Here is a diagram:

[​IMG]

Good luck!

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Great tip!!! Works like a champ now, however, the PS1 mode is still behaving the same way. When I put it in PS1 mode it still thinks that PS2 discs are in the drive. Any suggestions?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Update: I tried booting a PS1 backup using the old Magic 3 method and it appears to boot ok, just not from the browser screen. Does anybody know if this is by design or should it still boot from the browser screen. When I try it from the browser, it says it's a PS2 disc.

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Have a look at your 'S' connection, the one attached to the surface-mount capacitor. If the connection is shotty, PS1 loading will give you problems. Also, you can do a search for an alternate 'S' point connection.