1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic VKX+ install help, not reading backups

Discussion in 'PS2' started by aesthetix, Mar 21, 2005.

1. aesthetix

aesthetix Member

Okay so I installed my chip and my ps2 boots up normally. But it wont read any kind of backup I make. Is there a way to tell if my modchip is loaded? I assume it is working because it wont read ps1 games off the bat, I have to hold the reset button for 1 second when I boot it (which is what your supposed to do with magic chips for ps1 mode). I've used dvd decrypter in ISO mode to make my backups, but I assume those work too because my friend modded his the same night and his will read the ps2 backups, yet mine wont. We both have the v12 slimline ps2's with the same Magic V KX+ chip. Any ideas?

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

It's hard to tell what is wrong without actually looking at the board and solder points (got any pictures you could post?). You did not drop any solder on the board and link any two buses together did you? I would check the board with a magnify glass and make sure there are no bridges anywhere, especially on the legs. Also, make sure you hit every point correctly and that the wires are securely soldered to the point. Sorry but that is all the help that I can give.

3. aesthetix

aesthetix Member

Okay so with a little more testing, I figured out that it plays PSX backups perfectly. So that means the modchip at least somewhat works right? Anybody have any ideas of what points on the magic chip could control dvd reading? I know that might be a dumb question.. but just tryin to narrow down the points i have to check. Because looking at it, everything looks correct. and I really dont want to have to resolder everything from scratch.

4. jnar

jnar Member

Any resolve on this? I am having the same problem.

5. viddy228

viddy228 Member

Same problem here,loads up all normal games..but i get the insert playstaion disk.red screen..

6. jnar

jnar Member

Are you using a clip kit? The ps2 that I am having the problem with has a clip kit. I think it is a contact point on one of the BIOS legs with the clip.

The problem is you have to ditch the clip and solder everything or maybe someone knows which point to check?

Anyone have any ideas?

7. viddy228

viddy228 Member

Ok, i fixed the problem..This is the right diagram for installation..[​IMG]...i didnt have the a wire connected on my chip..the wrong diagram has a (W) instead..but theres no (W) point on the chip..after connected that wire, all the games,dvds, everything si working perfect now..and loads very fast..no more dms4 bull$#@% bios..

8. viddy228

viddy228 Member

[​IMG]....connect the (a) point where the (X) point is shown here..

9. viddy228

viddy228 Member

There is NO (W) point either,take that wire off..unlike dms4 uses that wire..

10. jnar

jnar Member

Viddy228, You are describing a different issue, The original problem described in this thread was that BACKUP PS1 Games play and BACKUP PS2 Games do not play.

11. viddy228

viddy228 Member

Your mistaken, I am talking about the same problem..you need to check to make sure the wires in that area where point (A)is located, is most likey the cause..once i rewired that area ,i could then read back ups ps2 disk,dvd, everything after that..
    i just posted a picture,since it was very hard to find the right one for this setup for me..

12. jnar

jnar Member

Am I missing it or does the diagram not have a Point (A)?

13. viddy228

viddy228 Member

Your right, and that was one of the problems i ran into..but i dont know how to upload a pic from my computer to show the correct diagram, thats why i say. the (X) is where the (A) point is suppose to be, and there is no (W) connection..the diagram is from www.covertime.com..is wrong..just check out the cd/dvd points and you should be able to fix your problem as well..took me like 15 mins..
    played pstwo for 6 hr straight..then it loaded right back up..not even hot at all..