1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MainConcept MPEG Encoder for capture

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by brandonba, Feb 15, 2005.

1. brandonba

brandonba Regular member

Is anybody using MainConcept MPEG Encoder for capturing? If so would you let me in on some good settings? My capture card won't work with windvr3. My card is Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE. I want to capture to mpeg. avi files are to big. Or is there any better capture programs? thanx

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The "Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150" is a Hardware Mpeg-2 encoder so your Device Natively Captured to Mpeg-2 so you should be useing the Software that Came with the Card as these Types of Proprietary Devices usually will only work with the Software that comes with it for Transfering the Mpeg files from the Card to your Hard Drive....

The Video is allready on Mpeg format when it Hits your PC (That is what Hardware Mpeg encoders do)so if you use Regular Analogue Capture programs Like WinDVR or MainConcept you are Essentially re-encodeing the Video which will Only serve to degrade the Quality of the Captured File so you are Best to use the Capture software that comes with the device and all of the Capture settings are done on the Card not the Software because it is the Card that does the Compression not the Software....

You should be able to download the Lastest version of the Hauppague Capture software at there web site...

Cheers

PS: There are Probably other Capture Programs you can use but they have to specificly support Captureing from Hardware Mpeg encoders if you want to utilize the hardware encodeing, which is the Only reason to get a Hardware encoder.....

3. brandonba

brandonba Regular member

it only came with the drivers and i had to download wintv2000 i thought it was terrible software.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well then I suggest you get rid of it and get something else because the only way to use it with other Software will ne as a regular Analogue Capture device which defeates the Purpose of Haveing a Hardware Mpeg encoder a you can get a Regular Analogue Capture device For well under $50...

You might want to Contact tech support at Hauppague and see if they Can recomend a Program that will allow you to capture to Mpeg-2 useing the Hardware encodeing on the Card....