1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by matlamont, Mar 9, 2007.

1. matlamont

matlamont Member

For a while now i have been using VSO's convertxtodvd to convert my avi files but i want to go 1 step further so i got my hands on Mainconcept's Mpeg Encoder. I have looked everywhere for a guide but found few of any interest and i need some help. So if theres someone who uses this i would be very greatfull if you could help me out.

Below is a snapshot of g-spot with the file i want to convert to dvd

[​IMG]

Heres the settings on the first page of mainconcept

[​IMG]

Heres the settings i used on the detailed settings page but because the frame rate of the video is 23.976, the only way i could select that setting was by selecting progressive frame from the field encoding box. Also im lost as to what deinterlacing does. so i leave it as it is. I calculated the average and put that in.

[​IMG]

These are the settings i used on the video settings page. Now i know the aspect ratio of the avi file is widescreen so i select it there right? Allot of the settings i have made are from reading through forums.

[​IMG]

This final screen is the advanced settings page and these are the settings that i used.

[​IMG]

Once it finished encoding i used dvd lab pro to finish it but when i played it back on my dvd player it was not widescreen and it looked vertically stretched? The quality was not bad but i thought maybe if it was widescreen it would be better. Can anyone shed any light on this and maybe give some tips on settings i have missed? Also some help on the field encoding and the deinterlacing settings?

Thanks much appriciated :)

2. attar

attar Senior member

After you encoded it (before DVD Lab Pro) what did GSpot say about it.
    After pressing "1" then "2", what did it look like in the pre-view box?
    [​IMG]

3. matlamont

matlamont Member

i haven't got the original file but i encoded a clip of it with the same settings..
    It did look stretched in the preview box

[​IMG]

4. attar

attar Senior member

If you had the AVI I would suggest trying VirtualDub.
    But if you have to import the MPEG then resave it as AVI then convert to mpeg again it might too low quality.

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

Run Vdub (VirtualDub.exe)
    Click 'File' -> 'Open Video File' Open the AVI (or MPEG).

Click the button marked 'Video' -> 'Full Processing mode' then 'Compression' and choose 'Divx...Fast motion'
    then select 'Filters' -> 'Add', select the 'Re-size' filter, double click and check the 'Expand frame and letterbox image'
    You will see a screen with the new image.If that suits continue and
    Click 'Audio' -> 'Full processing Mode'
    Click 'File' -> 'Preview output from start'
    then 'Save as AVI

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well it seems you made a few mistakes. From your MC screenshot you chose DVD and NTSC. For that 29.97 f/s is the correct choice. Also with MC when DVD is chosen '16:9 display' means just that.. exactly 1.78:1. You'll note GSpot says your source is 2.42:1.

You could have resized to about 720 X 288 (from the standard 480) under 'Scale' (unticking 'Keep proportions'). Or if you wanted the video to fit a 16:9 set exactly (no bars) you would crop the sides. 480-288= 192 divided by 2= 96, which under 'Crop' you would enter for Left and Right. This should correct the AR.

MPEG-2 uses only 16×16-pixel motion-compensated blocks, or macroblocks so most recommend trimming/sizing by multiples of 16.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I've been using MC for a couple of years and if there's a guide out there, I haven't seen it. I'm quite fussy about quality and I'm happy with the output I get. Here are my settings gleaned from the MC forum when it was up and a lot of trial and error. You may want to create a profile for the future at options but pick a name you want because I haven't found a way of deleting it and choosing DVD just makes a second profile. Main page - good, Detailed settings - field order - upper field first, deinterlacing - none, 2 pass encoding for the very best quality but it will double your encoding time, Crop and Scale will be used to adjust your aspect ratio later and search method and search range will be set using other settings. Video settings - I frames to 15 (PAL but I prefer it, 18 is NTSC I think) maximum bitrate 9000, average and minimum to 0 and set constant quality to 1 then average bitrate to where you want. Advanced video settings - Noise Reduction to 30 then click NR and set Noise Sensitivity to 1, Motion search mode to 11, 1/2 pel search, motion search pixel movement - both to 50, enable user quant matrice, I am currently testing RGB16-235 but have noticed no difference either way and in advanced settings, open Picture coding extension and set Intra DC precision to 0 (8) for average bitrate under 4500, to 1 (9) if under 6000 and 2 (10) if averge bitrate over 6000. Now, search method and search range should be 11 and 43 and on to your aspect ratio. Use this calculator: http://www.tomzavodny.cz/program/bitcalc/index_en.php and at #8, enter your origonal resolution, select target resolution (NTSC/PAL) DVD = 720 x (480/576)and enter the new resolution at Crop and Scale. Untick keep proportions and encode as 4.3. Increase height by 1.33 to encode as 16.9 and remember to untick keep proportions in Crop and Scale only. As an aside, I usually encode as 16.9 because the letterboxing is smaller and if the resolution still falls below 720 x 380, I cheat as it's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. Edit: forgot to add that the change to Constant Quality will add about 1% to your file size.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  7. matlamont

matlamont Member

Thanks for the help guys i cropped it and it came out fine although still a bit jittery not much but i can notice. so iv decided to convert my AVI files to PAL before encoding it then re-sampling the audio track and finally authoring them.
    Is this a better way do you think? or just let MC do the whole thing?

8. matlamont

matlamont Member

Sorry misycat didnt notice your post! advert was in the way.

Thats some great info there i appriciate that allot as i do find MC challenging and the manual is abet technical for me lol!

Never the less i shall play around and see what works best like i did today got a cracking DVD from it by converting an Xvid NTSC AVI to PAL first.

Thanks again :)

9. matlamont

matlamont Member

Mistycat rather lol!

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Actually, the manual and recommendations from MC support in the MC forum seemed at odds at times. For instance, they suggested using Line Filter at the Detailed settings for quality but the manual states that will reduce quality. Very confusing but I always defer to the manual.

11. matlamont

matlamont Member

Question for mistycat, quoting what you said above did you mean increase height by 133?

im confused lol

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Multiply the 4.3 height from the calculator by 1.33 and encode as 16.9. Say, 400 x 224 will be 720 x 358 (4.3)(NTSC) and 720 x 476 (16.9)(NTSC).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  13. whassup

whassup Regular member

The Mainconcept website has a VERY detailed guide on how to use its encoder.

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, it's probably right in front of me but I don't see it. Can you link to it please? Thanks