1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Problems Converting Avi to Dvd With ConvertX

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by 050676, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cringing

cringing Member

Okay, lol...this is getting suicidal.

i deleted the 'secondary' channel (the one not in use) and i rebooted, and tried a burn to NO avail, again.

i even got a bubble from my system tray after booting up saying 'found new IDE'.

EVERYTHING is set up properly, my system sees everything along with ALL my Burn software i've tried.

at this point, if anyone has any suggestions, cool, thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

The PC has two IDE channels (Primary and Secondary).
    The Primary has a blue connector to the motherboard.
    The Secondary a black connector.
    The burner is connected to the end of the cable on the Secondary channel.
    You uninstalled the Secondary and rebooted.
    Since you have a SATA hard drive and there is nothing connected to the Primary, try moving the burner on to it.

3. cringing

cringing Member

thank you Attar.

I will try that today.

I guess it would be better to have it on the 'Primary' anyway...even if it doesn't work....which, after being numbed by all these steps and tries, probably won't...BUT...

you can bet i'll try it.

stay tuned, lol.......

thank you again

4. cringing

cringing Member

well i tried another burn AFTER changing my burner to the 'Primary' and AFTER deleting both 'Secondary' channels.

as you can see from the Log (just did this now), everything is recognized and up-to-date...remember i have a SATA Western Digital HDD, so NO jumper adjustment needed, didn't come with them anyway.

don't let the 3.0.0.8 version of ConvertX fool you, cause i tried a burn right before this last one (above) using it's updated 3.0.0.9 version, and it said the same in the Log as the above 3.0.0.8 version burn. (for some reason ConvertX doesn't take the 3.0.0.9 version every time i boot-up...NOT the problem here anyway).

so herte's the Log, if you Attar an anyone can see something or has suggestions, please do so....wow, i know it's just a small tweak, and it'll start working.....dang!

thank you,
    J

5. cringing

cringing Member

duh!

it would help including the Log readout J:

here it is:

4/23/2008 4:35:04 PM info BURN: Finalization Time 00:00:30 - Total completion time 00:15:07
    4/23/2008 4:35:04 PM info BURN: WRITE SUCCESS
    4/23/2008 4:34:33 PM info BURN: Write finished in 00:14:36 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 3.81
    4/23/2008 4:20:07 PM info BURN: Lead-in burning time (mS) 11347
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Write started 2057312 sectors to write
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Init success: DVD-R DAO
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Writing speed requested x4.0, effective x4.0
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Available write speed: 20x, 18x, 16x, 12x, 8x, 4x
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Media ID: SONY16D1
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Media type: DVD-R
    4/23/2008 4:19:56 PM info BURN: Ultra DMA mode 4 (ATA66)
    4/23/2008 4:19:53 PM info BURN: Scanned files #11, folder #3 - total size 4212244480 b. (3.92 Gb.)
    4/23/2008 4:19:53 PM info BURN: Inserted media type : DVD-R
    4/23/2008 4:19:53 PM info BURN: Write started
    4/23/2008 4:19:52 PM info Disc name: "dmd-cloverfield"
    4/23/2008 4:19:52 PM info Burned folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\My Documents\My Downloads\Movies\Cloverfield\Cloverfield.DVDRip.XviD-DiAMOND\dmd-cloverfield"
    4/23/2008 4:19:48 PM info BURN: New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
    4/23/2008 4:19:45 PM info BURN: Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVDRAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
    4/23/2008 4:19:45 PM info BURN: New Drive selected : 0:0:0 - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N 1.05 [D] (Ide)
    4/23/2008 4:19:00 PM info 30 Menu templates loaded.
    4/23/2008 4:18:58 PM info Newer version (3.0.0.9) is available on internet
    4/23/2008 4:18:58 PM info BURN: New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info BURN: Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info Supported instruction set: sse3
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info Tuning Performances for Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz with 2 logical core(s)
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info System default language : 12297 (0x3009h) - English (Zimbabwe)
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info Version 3.0.0.8
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\VSO\ConvertX\3\ConvertXtoDvd.exe"
    4/23/2008 4:18:55 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    4/23/2008 4:18:52 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

6. attar

attar Senior member

That log shows no errors and a good burn.

7. cringing

cringing Member

I know, that's the damnedable part about it.

it always does a 'lo-successfyl' burn...however...

if it actually 'burned' the movie, the Log would show the chapters(i put them in every five minutes)of the movie being burned...

which it has always done for me in the past...

but obviously no chapters are being written, thus...NO movie.

EVEN THOUGH the Log states it has written successfully.

so, that's where i am.

DVD Flick, Imgnurn - SAME result.

now i'm wondering if controllers or something need to be altered on the motherboard or something, i don't know.

thanks for staying with me though Attar.

yeah, i don't know, what a mystery.

anyone get that far and still not burning for anyone?

thanks all,
    J

8. attar

attar Senior member

But this isn't a burner problem.
    The ConvertX log runs in real time and yes it should be showing a notation as each chapter mark is created - but this problem is during the conversion, not the burning part.The burner has nothing to do with the problem as I see it.
    Cancel the burning option and check the ConvertX output folder.If there are no files, then you need a new converter.

9. cringing

cringing Member

really?

well actually that would be cool, but i checked my ConvertX folder, and w/out knowing how to 'see' the screens i print (from the 'Prt Scr' key), i can't show you my folder, but...

yeah ConvertX's files, after unzipping them all, are all present.

upon installation, it created a folder named '3', and in it are all the files, i checked....but

as i said i try to show you the screen shot of the '3' folder 'opened', but the instructions say: click the 'edit' button within the document and paste.....yeah right.

Both 'copy' and 'paste' are NOT available on the screen.

maybe if you know Attar or are familiar with a certain file within ConvertX's folder that should or shouldn't be there, please let me know.

however, i just assumed it was on my end and not the burn software i'm using (ConvertX and DVD Flick)because what are the odds of both not burning you know?

and again, i've converted just fine with these programs.

so....if it's not my burner, great, but...

i've also uninstalled 'every' know file of both programs and re-installed them back a few times now.

anyway, i have no clue.

10. cringing

cringing Member

ATTAR:

after rereading your last post.....

if you were refering to the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS files ConvertX AND DVD Flick produce upon converting.......YES, they BOTH successfully produce those files, always have.

freakin' mystery i just gotta solve......man!

BUT Attar, thanks to you, i would have never known certain things so thank you again for your help.

if you can think of something please let me know

thanks

11. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

I'm having the same problem... It has nothing to do with the burning.. its a few minutes after pressing convert, and it has been happening for me.

I havent had this problem last week, or the week before.. so it has nothing to do with memory...

12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

13. cringing

cringing Member

thanks....you could rspect the rules and start a new thread XMayhem...

and thanks binkie, i guess XMayhen had an easier problem huh?

14. cringing

cringing Member

sorry, i've reached the end of my rope with this dang thing :|

15. armash

armash Member

Hello,
    I am having the same problem with convertx to dvd it gets stuck and freezes my pc during conversion i have an amd athlon 2600mhz with 256mb ram i have converted many projecs successfull in the past but in the last 12 or so days im having dis problem please Help.....

16. cringing

cringing Member

start cleaning your system first.

run a 'full check' with your Anti-Virus

'disk cleanup'

'disk defrag'

uninstall ConvertXtoDVD, don't forget to uninstall from 'program files as well.

if that doesn't work...you may need to do a fresh install of Windows.

also, if you updated ConvertX recently, that could be it...sometimes these software programs can mess things up when you install their latest versions.

just make sure to do a back-up of your hard drive before doing a fresh install of Windows.

if the uninstall/reinstallation of ConvertX doesn't take...go back and do it again, making sure this time to......

1) click 'start', 'run', type 'regedit' hit 'OK'
    2) under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER', 'SOFTWARE'= delete the 'VSO' folder.
    3) under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', 'SOFTWARE'= again, delete the 'VSO' folder.
    4) restart computer.
    5) reinstall ConvertX

* if all this doesn't work...you may need to install an 18" Ultra DMA Ribbon Cable to connect to your DVD-Writer Drive and the Motherboard.

the Cable will have a BLACK connector, a BLUE connector, and a GREY connector (just make sure the Cable is 18" though)...
    the BLACK connector connects to the 'MASTER', the GREY connector connects to the 'SLAVE', and the BLUE connector connects to the 'Motherboard.'

It's best to just have the 'BLACK' connector connected to your DVD-Writer Drive (as Master), and have the 'BLUE' connector connected to the Motherboard ONLY!....This is the best set-up.

as far as the 'jumper settings', have the DVD-Writer Drive as 'Master'...have NOTHING connected to the 'GREY' connector in the middle, and of course the 'BLUE' connected to the Motherboard....this is the best connection scenario...but if you have a regular DVD Drive as well, you can have it connected to the middle 'GREY' connector - just make sure it's set as 'SLAVE.'

try these, doing my 'FIRST' suggestion, and if it doesn't work, try this last suggestion.

hope this does it.....i had the same, yet different problem with my system.....i do NOT think it's ConvertXtoDVD itself that is your problem....it is your system....sorry :(

* Give 'em a try.....great luck!
    you'll get. you'll see, when you get it all running smoothly again, it'll be all set-up better than you have everything running now...trust me, this is just a blessing in disguise, and after you are up-and-running again, you'll, in some strange way, be glad all this happened...you'll see.. ;)

again, Great Luck!
    cringing

17. jony218

jony218 Guest

This is something else that can be done if your using windows xp, disable the folder video thumbnail shell.
    Description: When opening folders with movie files in them, windows explorer (the desktop) crashes.

Problem: This is a known issue with Windows XP's video thumbnail thing in Explorer. Being a thing invented by MS, it's buggy and doesn't always know how to handle things not supported by MS, and occasionally fails on things it does know how to support too. Every now and again it will crash and take Explorer down with it. Easy to solve thankfully.
    Solution: Windows XP:

* Go to Start -> Run... and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

Press enter. Done. It's as simple as that. If you, for some reason want it back, simply do the same thing again, but remove the "/u". That is: Start -> Run... regsvr32 shmedia.dll

This will only disable movie thumbnails/previews, not picture thumbnails.

this thumbnail shell will also crash video editing programs.

And finally if you multiple hard drives, try moving your avi to different hard drive and process it from there. That has helped me in the past.

18. armash

armash Member

Thanks cringing for da quick response :)
    I did the first resort which was disk clean up defrag etc. i scanned fully with norton av 08 and used uniblue registry booster,speedup,and spyeraser reinstalled windows but got the same result :( ...
    So i will try the other suggestion ill install the 18inch ultra dma ribbon cable hope it works...
    and once again many thanks to all quick suggestions tytytytyty...

19. cringing

cringing Member

it's cool.

it's sounding more and more that you need the fresh install of Windows.

i mean, get the Ultra DMA Cable, but if it doesn't solve your problem....

i think this is what you may need to do because...

i used to run a registry cleaner, and i learned the hard way that they only cause MORE problems...

yes, it's true....you wouldn't think so, but yeah.

if you've by any chance created a'restore point' BEFORE you installed your registry cleaner.....

i would restore back to before that point....then maybe you can save your system.

in other words, if you are able to do this, it'll be like you never installed the registry cleaner and it may get your system back to normal...

but i would still use the Ultra DMA Cable anyway, regardless of what your problem is.

just make sure, you DO NOT use 'Cable Select' for the jumper settings.....it can also cause your system more problems.

so get the cable, try it....if the same problem, do the restore point.

if you didn't create a restore point.....try to restore to another point even before that if you can.

now, it's been about 6 months since my problems like yours, and i really don't remember how to do the fresh reinstall of Windows, but if need be, i can still help you - i'll try - but i do know, if it reaches this point, you will have to back-up your hard drive...

UNLESS you don't have anything you are worried about losing.

so good luck!

20. armash

armash Member

THANKYOU Cringing ty ty ty ty ty ty ty :)
    i have ordered da cable and will arrive 2morrow but before dat i tried a fresh install and installed convertx but it didnt work on my first attempt but i tried your very first suggestion which was to go to start,run.regedit etc.. and it WORKS PERFECTLY thanks man i really appreciate your help i was really struggling 4 abt 10 days but now it works thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Armash