1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Make hardcoded subs in mp4/mkv video?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by tcbman, Dec 26, 2014.

1. tcbman

tcbman Member

Hi and merry xmas.
    I need some help.
    I just got myself a iPad for the first time and since the device doesnt support srt subtitles with video
    files I will need to hardcode them into the video file.
    Any easy and possible free software that will do this please?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your creating mp4/mkv or you want to inject subs into already created mkv/mp4 ?
    vidcoder if you want to make them from dvd or video_ts so that's fairly straight forward.
    It can most probably do it even if they are already created the downside is you'll need to recode them ;then select the srt or whatever format sub you have to hard code into the new mkv/mp4

3. tcbman

tcbman Member

hi,I already have the video files in either mp4 or mkv format + SRT files.
    So vidcoder will hardcode the subtitles into the mp4 video file?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It will need to recode to do it,if you have a single core computer i wouldn't bother it'll take bloody ages just to do one,my estimate 2hrs minimum per video. A normal dual core will take an 1hr give or take depending on the cores speed.
    Vidcoder or Handbrake can do it (vidcoder is an offshoot of handbrake),i prefer vidcoder as it has file size option.You could use a preset to auto create for an ipad or import one already made.then use edit on the GUI of vidcoder to select the srt to hardcode.You would use preset option if your ipad is having issues playing video & that's about all imo

personally i'd install klite full as well ,set tick box to make sure mediainfo gets installed with context menu option ticked as well,this will allow right cliking on the vid files to find out the overall bitrate to recode them to in vidcoders settings

It will be required after installing either vidcoder or handbrake to manage the settings,if the videos are ok on the ipad apart from the subs then you want all settings to be passed through (direct copy).

if the Vids have dual audio you can either select both or 1 or switch which will be primary tho this requires manually doing it,its not hard & is done from vidcoder GUI

The preset you want to start with is Normal then modify & save as custom or whatever name you choose.Then from that point on use the newly created custom settings as default then modify that when required,you'll see what i mean when you get into coding

It may sound a whole lot of complicated crap..lol..however i assure you its real easy to pickup the learning curve is practically 0 as most of its done automatically

5. tcbman

tcbman Member

thanks,will give it a try when I get the time :)