1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

make more chapters on recording

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by linda666, Mar 9, 2005.

1. linda666

linda666 Member

I can only get to record 6 time on one dvd disk
    how do you make more and 6. Some people say they
    can get 30 chapters

2. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

linda666,

First, go into the setup menu and find the setting for auto chapters. You can change how frequently they are automatically inserted.

After the recording is done, you are able to go to the EDIT menu and manually insert chapters where you want them.

Another trick is to use the "Hide Chapter" feature to keep commercial break from playing. After recording a program with commercials, go to the edit menu and manually put a chapter mark before and after each commercial break. Then you use the "hide chapter" to hide the chapter. When the recording is played back, is will skip over the hidden chapters (commercials) and continue playing the next visible chapter.

I hope this helps.

3. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

Gtrman has this ever been asked. That if and when you go in and hide the chapter marks and then burned it to a DVD would the DVD copy skip over the chapter marks ?

4. linda666

linda666 Member

Thank you for helping me, but I looked at my ilo dvd recorder and it did not have auto chapter or hide a
    chapter. It only have 5 minutes to 30 minutes. I want to beable to record 12 half hour show on one disk
    can this be done?

thank so much

5. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hi Linda,
    The way I create chapters for my videos is to stop the recorder after each video. Then I go back later and edit the titles on each video with a name. That way when I go to watch a certain video I can go right to it.
    Not sure if that is what you were wanting

6. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

linda666,

It seems there may be a little confusion between chapters and recordings. When recording to the DVD, each recording will show up on the browser as a new thumbnail. The recording can, and probably will, have chapters in it (this is the setting for auto chapter in the setup menu). The chapters in a recording do not show up on the menu. This is the difference between a recorded DVD and one you would buy in the store. There is no way to have 2 seperate menus for recordings and chapters on the disc.

With that said. If you want multiple recordings on the disc, all you have to do is record them. Each new recording will show up on the browser as an thunbmail. Just make sure all of what you want to record will fit. If you are doing 12 1/2hr shows, you would use the 6-hour mode and make sure each recording does not go over 1/2hr, or the disc will fail.

When you record, chapter marks will be automatically inserted into the recording at the interval set in the setup menu (5min, 10min, 15min). Even though they do not show up on a menu anywhere, when playing back the recording, you can use the chapter forward and chapter back keys on the remote to to get to them.

As far as chapter editing, you would go to the browser, highlight the recording you want to edit and then press the edit key on the remote. In the edit screen, there will be options for adding, deleting and hiding chapter marks. This is where you can define the commercial breaks with chapter marks and then hide them.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I hope this has helped.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  7. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

Gtrman Hey did you see my question about the chapters and hiding them ?

8. linda666

linda666 Member

Sorry, I guess what I really want is 12 1/2 hour recording, I can only get 6 recording now
    guess I mix up chapters with recording
    do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

ydkjman
    Yes. If you hide the chapters on the HDD, they will write to the DVD that way and work on other players.

linda666
    Where you see the 5-30 minute setting in the setup menus, that is the setting for how frequently a chapter mark is added the recording.

As far as getting 12 half-hour recordings on the DVD, you need to make sure you are recording in the SLP 6-hour mode and make sure none of the recordings are over 30 minutes. If you have the HD04, it is easier to record all the recordings to the HDD until you have the 12 recordings you want to copy, then make your DVD.

Also, remember, when you browse the menu of the DVD or the HDD, it will only show 6 icons at a time. If you have more than 6 recordings on the DVD or the HDD, you have to go to the next page in the menu to see the rest.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005