1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make the yellow light go awayyyy...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by aer0blue, Jun 4, 2007.

1. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

So, some time ago I managed to get a green light on my BitTornado (after succesfully doing Port Triggering), and it was like that for some time, then changed to yellow, for some unknown reason... I posted a while back, too, but yeah. I'm back once more in hopes of additional help and/or tips. I'm still trying to make this work again. >_< Thanks...

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

This is no answer but you may be getting full speed in BitTornado while seeing a yellow light. Keep an eye on it; this happened to me but in my case, the light continued on to red then black over a couple of weeks to where there were no connections at all. The odd thing was that BitTornado on another computer with the same connection didn't exhibit the same signs for a few weeks and a switch to another client fixed things but I never knew what happened and would still recommend it. Check that your ip address at ipconfig/all (nowhere else) and your router is correct. Thought this sounded familar, ignore the first part of my reply and check your address.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Hmm... Guess I'll change to uTorrent or something...see if it helps any...

Oh, and also... If I open the ports on my router and such, can I turn off the Windows Firewall? Is it even necessary with a router, anyway?

And ALSO also, when I go to ipconfig/all, it says IP Routing Enabled: No
    ...Does that have to do with anything?

Thanks.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

A layered defense is best so a software and a hardware firewall can be used but not two software firewalls, it's like having two AV's. I could be wrong but I believe the Windows firewall provides inbound protection only; someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I've used the Windows firewall and a router firewall for ages with no problems, just make your client an exception. And if you require outbound control, Comodo is good with great support (from what I hear). Your ip address should be down a few lines with the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, etc. info. utorrent is what I went to and it has worked great.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Alright, thanks. Oh and, my router has an option to turn on/off its Firewall. It's currently off... Do you think turning it on would make a difference? ...I don't know if the answer is obvious or not lol, I don't know that much about all this...so yeah.

6. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Argh, sorry for the double post...I don't know if it's frowned upon here, but sorry once more.

Additionally, my router has some settings saying:

Filter Action: Allow/Deny
    Packet Direction: Inbound/Outbound
    Packet Protocol: TCP/UDP/ICMP/ALL

Those are their options, I mean... Currently, they are set to Allow, Inbound and TCP, but they're under the "Firewall: Enable/Disable" option, so I don't know if those settings are working or not since the Firewall is turned off.

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I'd turn your router firewall on. A lot of people purchase routers just for the hardware firewall. Torrents use Inbound/Outbound packets and all in Packet Protocol.

8. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Would those settings still take effect if the firewall is turned off?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Probably, remove your router, if you can, and connect directly to the modem to see if you still have problems. Make sure that if your Windows firewall is enabled, your client is listed as an exception.

10. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Alright, well, we're another question. Quoting PortForward.com:

"The Port Range box defines the ports that Bit Tornado will use. These are the ports that you need to forward to your computer. Bit Tornado does not need the full 50,000 ports that come predefined. Go ahead and uncheck the Random checkbox. Enter 10000 into the From box, and enter 10010 into the To box. If you expect to download more than 10 files at the same time, then you should make this range of ports larger."

Does that mean that, let's say a single torrent is downloading around 20 files... Should I open 10000-10019? Or just one port is required for those 20 files? I'm not sure if I'm making sense here. Lol...

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, in BitTornado 1 port for each torrent you open regardless of how many files the torrent contains but remember that each download open will be sharing your total bandwidth.