1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

makeshift mini stereo 1/8" to RCA L/R cable....

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Halen5150, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Guys;

In recent discovering that I'm not using one of my old receivers anymore; I figured I'd trying getting some better sound out of my computer by hooking up to my computer and with some good speakers.

..Well; little did I know that my sound card doesn't have those analog RCA L/R connections; so I thought I was stumped.

..But; I figured that I could at least try and make a 1/8" mini stereo to analog RCA cable by cutting off the plug of an old set of headphones; and cutting off the plugs of an old L/R audio cable that came with an old vcr; and to my discovery it didn't work......?

Right now I'm at a loss as to what's going wrong. I thought that putting one of these together would be pretty self explanatory, right? Don't you just hook the stereo channels [i.e.; red wire to red wire; and white wire to white wire] together and it should work??

Let me know what I'm doing wrong please if anyone's made their own one of these cables.

All I really wanted to do was have a cable for hooking the receiver to pc.

Lastly; I don't want a "Why don't you just go to Radio Shack and buy a cable?" kind of reply; because I already know about that. I'm just seeing if I can save 2 bucks and learn something in the process..lol...

--Halen5150

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Learn something about blowing up your sound card?

You need to connect the ground wires as well. If you just connect the red and the white wires to the L and R stereo inputs, you'll get no sound just a lot of hum.

[​IMG]

The RCA cable has 2 leads, each with an inner wire and a shield. The shields need to be connected to the ground wire from the headphone jack. Cheap headphone cables often just have a kind of thin copper wire wrapped with cotton which is hard to solder to.

You're getting one all the same, Mr Picky.

3. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

hey thanx for the reply;) just what I was looking for!

p.s. srry if my post came off as being 'picky'; I just said that so that way nobody would try and not answer my question by just telling me to 'take the easy way out.'

Thanx; Appreciate It;
    --Halen5150