1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making a compilation dvd

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dharmon, May 16, 2003.

1. dharmon

dharmon Member

I'm trying to combine a few 25-minute episodes on to one DVD. They're already ripped. They have their own .vob files, are in their own directories and I'm wanting to combine them onto one disk. Since these are 25 minutes each the space shouldn't be a problem. Any ideas how I accomplish this?

Dennis

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Depends a little on the authoring sw you use, but provided that all of the audio is in the same format, you could simply demux all of the video /audio stream and then importing them into an authoring program. You also need to make sure that the audio delay is dealt with.

1. Demux the video stream from each VOB using VOBedit. This'll give you a .m2v file.
    2. Read in each VOB into dvd2avi, set the audio to demux and then save the project. This will give you an .d2v file and a .ac3 file. the ac3 filename will tell you the amount of delay in the audio stream.
    3. use "ac3 dealy corrector" to take out the delay component from the ac3 audio. otherwise you'll notice lip-sync problems. You can find it at the doom9 site.
    4. Now you have a bunch of .m2v video streams and .ac3 audio streams. Most authoring programs can import them, so author away!

Rgds,
    jnihil.

PS: If there is a mix of different audio formats (ac3, mpeg, LPCM), then it's probably best to 'decode' in dvd2avi and then you'll end up with a .wav file instead of ac3. You can then encode the audio to common format. Otherwise you can keep the different format audio, and bundle each audio format to different VTS on your DVD. They just don't like you mixing audio formats in any given VTS.

3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I think DVDshrink will take any vob files that you have in a directory and re-make the ifo files for them so you can burn it as a DVD with nero or whatever.

Matt

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Haven't tried that, but I think you probably need to have the .IFOs as well and not just the VOBs.

Try it, and let us know.

jnihil.

5. dharmon

dharmon Member

I really have to rip the current .vob's? Isn't there a way to just renumber the additonal vob session to VTS_2_1.VOB, VTS_2_2.VOB, etc? I thought there would be a trick that wouldn't require re-creating something already ripped into separate directories.

Dennis

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I dont think that you need anything but the VOB files with dvdshrink but I could be wrong. The last time I made a DVD it ripped just the VOB files to my harddrive and then created the IFO files for me on the harddrive after the rip.

Matt

Last edited: May 17, 2003