1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a DVD backup w/quality as good as orig

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ElLoco, Mar 27, 2002.

1. ElLoco

ElLoco Guest

Basically, I want to make perfect copies of my DVDs without having to reduce the quality of the backups. I don't want to rip it to an inferior format (DivX, VCD, SVCD), thereby reducing the quality of the copy.

Can i rip the VOB and reburn it onto a DVD-R without changing the format - and have it work. If so, how can I do this. All the info seems to be for converting DVDs to CDs.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I moved your thread to correct forum (DVD-R). Here you can see the answers for most of your questions, just browse through the archive. But to put it simple:

-you must have DVD-R or DVD+RW writer
    -if your movie is less than 4.36GB (which is what you can fit to one blank DVD-R as they don't support dual-layer), it's very simple. Just rip the movie using SmartRipper's backup feature and burn the VIDEO_TS directory to your DVD-R using Nero's ISO/UDF format (or alternatively use DVD Decrypter's ISO image backup features)
    -if your movie is slightly over 4.36GB, like 4.7GB, rip it like previous one, get rid of the unwanted streams (extra audio, commentary, extra subtitles, trailers, etc) using VobRator and create new indexes using IFOEdit. Then burn the whole VIDEO_TS directory as described earlier.
    -if your movie is way over 4.36GB, you need to reduce the quality (re-encode using TMPGEnc or similiar)

3. Randy

Randy Member

I am currently trying to make a back up of Gone in 60 Seconds. The problem i am having is the merged VOB files made 1 file thats 4.88GB in size and i need to trim it down so i can burn it to a DVD. What program is best used for this as i can't seem to locate "VobRator" to create new indexes as you stated above, could you please post a link to this utility please?

Thanks

4. Randy

Randy Member

Nevermind, i found it... Incase anyone is looking for it... http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Rippers/VOBrator02b.zip

btw, using ifoedit i was able to strip Gone in 60 Seconds from 4.88GB down to 4.1GB and burn it to a DVD-RW with Prassi Primo... Thanks to all the helpful info in this forum!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2002