1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a DVD from avi and mpeg files...how long

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by mayhem229, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mayhem229

mayhem229 Guest

Im new to the forum and wanted to know ......Im using a Celeron II @ 700 MHz with 512M RAM. When I try this process using nero I am able to fairly easily make a dvd with custom title background- my own mp3 files for menu music and avi mpeg as well as wma files to create a dvd. The problem is it takes 10-12 hours.....I assume its the conversion process that takes so long. My pc may be a factor as well since it is not a p4 or something....Give me you thoughts..How long should this process take? Is there an easier way? would I be better off making a vcd or svcd. (My dvd player reads vcd and svcd) Which format would yield the best picture quality?

Thanks

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey mayhem229,

If you have managed to do all this then you are doing well!

I assume you are starting with DV-AVI? Whether you convert it to MPEG1 (VCD) or MPEG2 (DVD) its still going to take a long time. 10hours is alright for a Celeron700. 1Gig RAM *may* help...but the CPU is definitely your bottleneck.

What apps are you using? Some are faster than others...but then again, speed doesn't usually mean good quality.

In terms of picture quality...the order it VCD (bad), SVCD (ok), DVD (good).

Adder.

3. noobdvd

noobdvd Member

Just to comply to the rules, i'll post my question within this thread.

As I am a complete noob in dvd burning, hope some1 can help me out.
    I converted 3 avi files (which should, considering their size still fit 1 DVD). Now I got 3 mpg and 3 mp2 files. What am I supposed to burn ? Or do I need to do something else before burning. (The settings for the conversion were DVD - PAL)

Sincerely,

NoobDVD

4. Extatic27

Extatic27 Member

what program are you using to do the conversion?.. Ive pretty much always used nero vision express which does the conversion from avi to vob in one step.. i dabbled with tmpgenc a bit but it took entirely too long.. i'd sujjest getting your hands on a copy of Nero vision 2 as ive had some problems with version 3.. I'm using a intel p4 3.0 ghz with 1 gig of ram and it usually takes around 1 hr and 40 minutes depending on the movie sometimes shorter sometimes longer.. that time is also including burning it onto the dvd.. as for pal and ntsc.. if you're in the united states i'd sujjest using ntsc as most dvd players in the us wont play pal

5. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey noobdvd,

The MP files are the video and audio separated. You could use TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD Lab to convert them into VOB files ready for burning.

Both of these programs also create menus. DVD Lab can create more complex menus than TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Adder.

6. noobdvd

noobdvd Member

Seemingly I have left out some information. I have used Boilsoft Avi to vcd/svcd/dvd converter.
    As for VOB and other stuff, I am a complete noob about DVD burning.
    I only know that I now have the original AVI, and the mpg and MP2 files. I use PAL format, as that is more commonly used in Europe. (so as European guy, I guess that would be better)

NoobDVD

7. noobdvd

noobdvd Member

In the end Nero 6 (including recode and all) did the job. Not as good as I hoped for, but it worked.

NoobDVD

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005