1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making coasters not DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kmoman, Feb 1, 2005.

1. kmoman

kmoman Member

I'm trying to burn MPEGs to DVD. I captured the MPEGs using Nero, I am able to sucessfully burn a "DVD" to my hard drive (sometimes), which I can play fine with PowerDVD. Thus I assume the transcoding is fine, when I try to burn these exact files (vob, etc) from my hard drive to a DVD disc, the DVD crashes half way thru in my Samsung DVD player.
    I am writing with a 4x speed using an I/O Magix 16x DVD burner. Please help.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Can you burn a DVD with just data files? If you can't even burn data files, you might want to check your ASPI files. Do you use Roxio or Nero? If Roxio, run!!! It's garbage. Uninstall it, run a registry cleaner to get rid of all remnants, and reinstall.
    P.S.: Any time you make a coatsre and can't figure out the problem, start using rewritables (RWs) until you figure out the cause. The first coaster is a mistake, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. is stupidity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. kmoman

kmoman Member

I tried burning a data DVD, didn't work so well. I appeared that it burned the files, but I couldn't access them. My DVD-rom drive did not recognize the disc (and I confirmed that DVD-rom is working ok), my computer would hang up or crash when trying to either explore this disc or when trying to acess the files. I am using Nero, I believe it's a new version, It came with the burner which I bought in January. How do I check the ASPI files? RW are a great idea, I will go get some. Please help, thanks a lot.

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Click Start, Nero, Nero Toolkit, then Nero InfoTool. The last tab is ASPI.

5. kmoman

kmoman Member

The ASPI were set to system ASPI, which contained corrupt files, I set these to Nero ASPI, which were analyzed as OK. The DVD I burned was not sucessfull, it hangs up after the 4th chapter. I'm lost.

6. kmoman

kmoman Member

I installed DVD shrink, I burned the DVD that I made with Nero (that I burned successfully to the D:\ Drive) onto a disc using DVD shrink. So it appears to be a Nero problem. Can anyone help me diagnose it or at least suggest a program to burn data discs?

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Do you have SP2 installed? Sometimes it has compatibility problem with Nero.

8. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

dvd shrink is not a burning engine it actually uses nero to burn if you look in the settings on shrink the box is checked that says enable burning with nero so i dont think it is a problem with nero

9. kmoman

kmoman Member

scf_au: Stupid question but what is SP2?

rhino: you were absolutely right, dvd shrink is burning via nero. but why can't I make functional discs with the nero interface? i can only burn to my hard drive. does dvd shrink use it's own settings, or does it default to the nero settings?

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  11. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

sp2 is service pack two for windows xp it has caused some people problems with burning. if you want go in to shrink settings and uncheck enable burning with nero and try to do it manually, by using nero burning rom to burn the files after shrink is done.

12. kmoman

kmoman Member

I will have to check when I get home, I believe I do have SP2. Is there a fix or would I have to uninstall it. Would that be a security risk? Can I use XP to burn DVD data discs?