1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Coasters

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Larbac, May 4, 2004.

1. Larbac

Larbac Member

Hi All,
    I,m having trouble backing up my dvd's. I am using Dvd Decrypter, Shrink 3.1.7 and Nero. The backup works fine in the player until the last couple of chapters. At this point the my movie begins to stick. I'm sure that this must be a newbie problem but i cannot find any info in the other forums.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Most likely cause is cheap media. The place I buy from has $1 discs and $2 Ritek discs. I buy the $2 ones. If every 2nd disc is a coaster, you aren't saving money.

2nd thing I do is decrease the size of the output file. Instead of the standard 4464 MB, I set it to 4444 MB.

3. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

The media is more than likely the problem, but if you know where to get media, you can still get high quality media for <$1 per disc. I would avoid large spindles of 100 though b/c about half of them will be damaged at the end of the disc. I just purchased a 50 pack of Ridata DVD-R's from newegg and haven't had any problems with these discs.

4. Larbac

Larbac Member

Many Thanks for the quick Reply. Will let you know if it works out.

5. brian100

brian100 Guest

I bought 2 packs of 100 ritek g03 off ebay from the states & shipped to me here in the uk. ALL burnt succesfully to the edge exhibiting no problems whatsoever. Where do you get your facts for the above statement?

6. michigan

michigan Guest

You should set the disc size as 4300 (per our old buddy Scuba Pete), I have not had a problem since I started doing this, That is a better size, it avoids the edges of the disc where you are more likly to have flaws in the disc

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Guys, heard my name mentioned so I had to stop in (lol) - Let me start at the top :)

Me thinks you have to watch out saying things like that - I have heard of poorly packed DVD’s but it is sooo very rare. Ordering from places like Meritline I’ve never had a problem and I’ve been doing it for quite a while.

As for the reduction of the DVD file prior to burning, I personally think it matters - since doing this (although I did it while using “cheap” media), I feel it may have some validity when kids play with the DVD’s the edges are what take the beating. Second, on occasion, the pressed dye has a chance to be slightly uneven towards th edge hence, problems toward the end of a movie - finally, more inexpensive media, the outer edge of the disc “feels” crumbly - therefore - Me, I choke back a little, to my favorite number, around 4300MB.

Please remember, a 4.7GB disc cannot hold 4.7GB of anything ! The official number is 4360MB - I just go 60MB under that -

The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    While the manufactures advertise the size of a DVD as a 4.7GB DVD disc it’s not true. It’s because they calculate what 1GB is differently. A DVD will hold 4700mb but that is not 4.7GB that is 4.38GB because 1GB is not 1000MB it is actually 1024MB. Manufacturers do this false advertising all the time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you buy a 120GB Hard Drive it isn’t really 120GB it is actually more like 114GB. (I think that’s right - lol) At any rate, we prefer to calculate the available writing space on a DVD as 4.36GB to include the reverse math and also provide a bit of room for overhead :)

Now just a slight addition. When we say a DVD is a DVD-5 that means that the movie is Less than 4.36 GB in size. When a DVD is that small we can copy it using DVD Decrypter all by itself. First by reading it in the ISO mode, then writing it in the ISO mode. The resulting copy is a perfect 1:1 backup because absolutely no compression was required.
    Consequently, a DVD-9 is any DVD greater than 4.36GB. You will find that the majority of DVD’s falls into that category. A DVD-9 requires compression to one extent or another in order to get it to fit onto a single DVD. The more compression, the less quality. The quality in most cases can only be seen in a single picture comparison with a good bit of studying. When watching the movie one would hard pressed to tell the difference with the naked eye. (No, we’re not doing any eye clothing jokes. You wear your eye clothes and me; I’ll let my eyes go naked. If you’re embarrassed then just don’t look into my eyes :)
    Here’s a comparison between different backup programs.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/114/8

That’s my 2-cents and there they lie -

Cheers,

Pete

8. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

Meant to say CAN be damaged towards the edge of the disc, I say this b/c I have had that problem when I ordered a spindle of 100 and I also remember a previous thread talking about avoiding such large spindles as well. I was able to burn the discs and they would play okay, but you can notice defects toward the edge of the disc. So, when I had disc full of data files, I am unable to retrieve all of the files due to the defective area on the disc.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's all in the packing - I always specify, pack for shipping to avoid damage in transit. That's why, when I got a bad disc, it was replaced free-of-charge :D)

Cheers,

Pete

10. Larbac

Larbac Member

Thanks for the many replies. I have made a copy of my son's Treasure planet and there seems to be no sticking point on the disk.
    This is my first time on any forum and I think I will be reading a lot more of the content on this forum.
    Thanks Guys.