1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making dvd-a with discwelder bronze

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by majik255, Mar 8, 2005.

1. majik255

majik255 Member

hi! i`m a newbie and i am trying to make a dvd-a that will play in my dvd player using DW Bronze.
    i set up my tracks inside bronze and burned it to dvd-r. when i tried to play it on my dvd player it only played through the analog outs. how do i encode the tracks so that the audio will play through the digital connection so i czn here it in surround?

2. jjolson

jjolson Member

Apart from very few players (high-end Meridian, Denon and a few others) no DVD-Audio players is allowed to send out DVD-Audio digitally (copyright reasons). Normal DVD-Audio capable players has to use 5.1 analog (6 RCA) out and the reciever has to have corresponding inputs.

3. Phyco_Can

Phyco_Can Guest

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What is the make & model of your DVD player?
    Does it have the 6 RCA Analogue outputs?
    For you to get the digital out, you must have a player that is HDMI enabled, and an amplifier that corresponds to this.

5. jjolson

jjolson Member

Not true. Denon uses DenonLink, Meridian uses MHR, I guess Pioneer has gotten a license now for using their Firewire solution. I don't know of anyone sending digital DVD-Audio data - except maybe downsampled to (probably) 24/48 - over HDMI. Is that even implemented in HDMI before HDMI 1.3?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Denon use HDMI.
    Straight off the Denon website.

I have no doubts at all that as per usual, manufacturers are attempting to screw things up by all using proprietary formats.
    HDMI is the standard to use though.

7. jjolson

jjolson Member

Note the...
    ...it sure has the bandwidth, but technically hasn't been usable for DVD-Audio/SACD. But for stereo/multi-channel DD/DTS.

The problems for manufacturers has this time not been that they have wanted to screw things up, the problems have been that HDMI has been screwed up. HDMI 1.0 could hardly be used for anything, 1.1 is the now widely used version which is adequate for must things - but encrypted high-resolution audio. The 1.2 version ought to be ready, though I don't know if it's implemented in players/recievers yet, that's probably needed for Hires audio to work. So some player/reciever combinations may now be able to use HDMI for DVD-Audio/SACD, I don't know. 1.3 is needed for the new formats like Dolby True HD. Then HDMI will disappear... :) and be replaced with the (backwards-compatible) UDI.

[bold]But[/bold], DVD-Audio has been out for quite a while now, and several companies tired long ago on only having an analogue-out option while waiting for the HDMI standard first to set and then to work.

Meridian, having developed MLP AND BEING A "keep things digital" company of course wanted to stay out of analogue. The ydeveloped their MHR (3*S/P-DIF) which sends the data still encrypted over the link and got that endorsed by the DVD-Audio content makers/standard board. Denon followed with their DenonLink, getting it OK'd for DVD-Audio - but only recently (with version III) OK'd for SACD. Meridian, BTW, of course doesn't care at all about SACD.

We can continue with quotes from the Denon Site - the brand new "AVR-4806: THX® Ultra2 7.1 CH Reference A/V Surround Receiver":

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/237.asp

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/226.asp

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

HDMI will still feed the DVD-A sections and output.
    The Denon system is like this, but with bells on.
    And SACD has nothing at all to do with the original question.

The poster wanted to know how to get Digital DVD-A.
    And if his player & amp hasn't got the HDMI, or proprietary version thereof, he can't.
    There is no way to output DVD-A through the TOSlink or SP-DIF connectors on a standard player.
    They cannot handle 5.1 channels at 24/96, either. Not enough bandwidth in the system.
    TOSlink is from the Alesis ADAT, which is up to 8 channels at a maximum of 24/48 resolution.

9. jjolson

jjolson Member

Well, that was what I wrote in my answer as of March 29th... :)

10. jjolson

jjolson Member

Checked up on HDMI a bit, and already version 1.1 should be able to handle the encrypted hires audio, though it's very uncommon that manufacturers use it for DVD-Audio/SACD. Perhaps they are ignoring the small DVD-A/SACD market and ar waiting for HDMI 1.3/BR/HD-DVD.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Who knows what goes on in the "minds" of the hardware manufacturers?
    Not me, thats for certain.

You would have thought that they would get behind a format & promote it to the max, but they all seem to want to own everything outright in Sony towers!