1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making dvd backups on a dvd recorder..

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by byron747, Apr 12, 2007.

1. byron747

byron747 Member

I bought a Magnavox DVD Recorder and am not allowed to make back up copies of my DVD's from neither my DVD player nor my VHS player via RCA connections. How on earth does the DVD recordered see a 1985 VHS movie as copyrighted? I do like being able to record my favorite TV shows on DVD but is there a brand or fix that will let me backup my old VHS tapes & DVD movies? I did look for related posts/threads but didn't find anything other than computer programs.

Thank you!

2. JVC

JVC Active member

It's Macrovision stopping the vhs tapes from copying. There is a device (forget what it's called), you can hookup to the machine, that will allow copies of vhs tapes. But if I were you, I'd find them on dvd at the pawn shops, or used movie store. When you copy a tape to disc, the quality is still that of the tape.......

No way to copy a copy protected dvd, on a recorder. The only way, is with a computer.

3. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

byron747

Take a look at this thread
    While I don't use them others have reported good results using a clairafier etc.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=326562

There are other forms that also speak to them

A Quote
    "No way to copy a copy protected dvd, on a recorder. The only way, is with a computer"

---Not So ---

4. byron747

byron747 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post a response after trying one of these units.

Cheers..

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Don't say ---not so---, and not explain yourself!
    Does the device allow copying of copy protected dvds?
    If not, how else, other than a computer?

6. byron747

byron747 Member

one site claims that one unit will backup DVD to DVD recorder on most recorders.. it appears to be the same unit that another site says will only do VHS-DVD so we'll see.. all the priority shipping methods were $80-140 more to AK so I chose USPS so it may be a week or two..

7. JVC

JVC Active member

Sure.........if the recorder has a hard drive in it, you can copy your home movies that are on dvd, to the HD, and then to another dvd. But you cannot copy, a copy protected dvd (store bought movie), on a recorder, unless that device will allow it somehow.

On the box, where it says it will copy dvds, read the small print. I had to show the small print to a friend one time.

8. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

My Post was to pass information to byron747 and my last comment was not meant to offend only for info.
    The statement made and again in a later post is not correct. A standalone recorder can copy a CP protected disk. to a HDD or a DVD disk. There is No additiomal equipment, no fine print, gimmicks or home movies involved

No additional device is used and no additional cost is involved. These are Recorders. They are units that anyone could have purchased and still may be able to.
    [Any hack is for analog MV only].

I used to use a PC but haven’t for over two years and I would agree that if one wanted a true copy of a disk, menu and all as the original. I should think a PC is the only way and many still do.
    I should also think the unit [byron747] purchased would not copy a protected VHS tape to a disk without a TBC of some sort. That’s for analog MV.
    As for digital DVD, I would not think it would at all. But
    He may have one that will, both analog and digital.

9. JVC

JVC Active member

Everyone I know with recorders, that's tried to copy a movie with it, couldn't............because of copy protection. These are different brands of recorders too. How 'bout passing along instructions on how to do it? I know several people that would appreciate it.......... :eek:)

10. byron747

byron747 Member

Sorry to take so long to reply to this thread. I've been a busy guy making backups of my DVD collection. I used the digital video stabilizer here ($19) and it works great. It wouldn't backup dvd's at first but would after a Magnavox VCR was placed in between.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=80-4280

The drawbacks to this method are:
    1. loss of menus & subtitles/etc.
    2. real time 1:1 duplication

Pros:
    1. dvd recorder can put 4 movies on one blank at decent quality
    2. timer record during away time makes for a 'auto-pilot'
    3. I don't have to fight windoze vista on my new laptop
    4. 4 movies on a disc reduces number of total discs

IMO: Way worth the cost of $20, an RCA cable $10 and dvd recorder $70

11. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member