1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD copies from a mini DVD without losing quality

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by zackmills, Aug 24, 2007.

1. zackmills

zackmills Member

My wedding was shot with a Sony Handycam on a DVD-RW mini. I want to make various copies for family members. I just used DVD Decrypter to get it onto my PC as a vob file. Then used SUPER to convert that vob file to an avi file, which was followed by burning it to a regular DVD with DVD Flick.

It worked, but the quality of the picture suffered. While watching the original DVD mini on the TV, it looks really good, however, on the DVD I burned, while the camera is not on a stand, it looks really pixelated. Where did I lose the most quality in the process I stated above? Should I convert it to some other format than avi? I don't mind if the file is big since the ceremony is on one 30 minute mini, and the reception is on another 30 minute mini. I managed to get both onto a regular DVD, but don't mind having them split onto two if the quality is as good as the original mini DVD. I would prefer using a program that is free.

Also, I would like to edit what was shot. I would like things like titles, subtitles (due to Chinese being spoken), and the ability to add in music and possibly pictures. I have Windows Movie Maker, but have never used it and heard mixed things about it. Is there any other good programs that have a short learning curve since I have never really edited video?

Thanks for any help.

2. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Well first of all you re-encoded more times than you had to. That's probably where you lost quality. And from my understanding a DVD holds more than two miniDVD's so you shouldn't lose any quality.

Just use DVDDecrypter to rip both DVD's to the hard drive into a VIDEO_TS folder with all the VTS files. Then use DVD Shrink to import both movies, and combine them and you will end up with files that are ready to burn.

And as far as subtitles, you will have to actually write them out and figure out what time to put them at.

3. zackmills

zackmills Member

Ok, so with the Decrypter I should go to MODE - ISO - then select READ or WRITE? After I select that, then what?

4. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Change the mode to File, click the decrypt button, and it should produce a VIDEO_TS folder. Just remember where it saves it to. I would name them something like DISC_1 and DISC_2, or whatever. Then use DVD Shrink to import them and let DVD Shrink do it's thing.

5. zackmills

zackmills Member

I'm not familar with DVD Shrink at all. I opened the files where Decrypter put it, then hit Backup! and immediately get the error that it is out of memory and a parameter is incorrect.

6. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Follow This guide to copy 2 movies to one DVD and then see if you come up with any errors.

7. zackmills

zackmills Member

Thanks man, that worked great. After I burned it, you can't tell if your watching the original mini DVD or a burned copy.

Now, if I wanted to edit the movies, what files do I need on my PC? Will I be able to edit the VTS files? If so, is there any good free editing program?

8. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Assuming you chose to join the vob files whenever you put them into NeroVision, then you should be able to rip the entire thing to one file with DVDDecrypter. This time go to Mode->IFO, and there should be one file that is the length of the entire footage. Rip that.

As far as editing the video, I'm not sure what programs to recommend because I don't do much in that specific field but there's probably some topics here on afterdawn that should help you out.

Here's a list of some video editors. I'm not sure if these are what you're looking for but it's a start. You'll probably have to do some googling to find what you need specifically.