1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD ISOs in Alcohol 120%

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by hckrkd, Jul 14, 2007.

1. hckrkd

hckrkd Member

I'm using Alcohol 120 and I'd like to make ISO images of my DVDs (data DVD's not video) but on the second screen of the "Image Making Wizard", there is no ISO option in the image type drop down box, there is only MDF/MDS. Not that theres anything wrong with MDF files, I just like to use ISOs better. When I copy a CD, theres alway the option to rip it as an ISO but not with DVDs. Why is this?

2. onya

onya Guest

Alcohol 120% is great software. If you look under the HELP menu you'll see that there is an onboard manual. Have a serious read, and if you have more questions then you can search their website for specifics.

Rather than hold your hand through all the functions of this software, I'd prefer to see YOU do some leg work, as the makers have gone to length to help out.

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Excellent advice Onya...best I've seen in a while.

4. Homer_J2

Homer_J2 Member

hckrkd,

I've got the same question that you have. Except on the last part. Not "why is this" but "how can it be done"?
    I'm sorry to hear that the best advice a senior member of this forum can give is to "read the manual".

Unfortunately, it looks like it can't really be done. Here are a few links that I found about it.

http://www.file-extensions.org/filetype/extension/name/disk-image-iso-binary-files
    http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20070701162758AADvqFe]
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2108687_burn-image-using-alcohol.html

Maybe there is a small program out there for creating data iso files, something to use along with the disk burning features of Alcohol 120?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

5. Gamer911

Gamer911 Member

I sympathize with folk who can't get Alcohol 120% to work for them. I download it every time I reinstall my OS--so the clock on my free trial starts again--and have yet to make a working copy.

I've posted several messages, and even contacted Alcohol directly, and if I were to summarize the responses I received it would read something like:

"Cmon dood, copying is ezee. Just use aray then tell alcohol what the protection is then just run the wizard. Sheesh! How many times do I have to tell peeps this."

OK--I get it. I'm a dummy. Buf if I asked someone to teach me to drive and they answered "Cmon dood, driving is ezee. Just use a key to start it and then step on the gas and drive it. Sheesh! How many times do I have to tell peeps this." Catch my drift?

Indeed, somewhere on this forum I saw someone suggest that it's easy--just use DVDDecrypter. I use this fine software to copy movies--but most U.S. games are on CD and DVDDecrypter won't even read CDs!

6. wtfafterd

wtfafterd Member

Onya - Read the Manual?

LOCOENG - nice comment Moderator

People come here for help, what is your point?

Oh, I get it you mean "I'm not going to help you."

7. wtfafterd

wtfafterd Member

How about something helpful like this -

If you are using the trial version Alcohol 120 you cannot create ISO images. MDS is the only format available during the trial period.