1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD-VCDS

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by FartDude, Sep 2, 2004.

1. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I have just read the guide here on how to create dvd vcds and everything the guide states works, but for those of u who dont wish to go through the trouble of re sampling or re encoding just use tmpge's dvd author for it does all the audio sampling for u. Just wanted to post that here for those whom are dealing with dvd vcds.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI Motherboard
    Celeron 2.40ghz
    80gig HDD
    Lite-On DVD+R/CDRW
    Sony DVDROM/CDRW
    512DDRAM
    WinXP Pro
    64Meg Nividia GeforceMX[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004
  2. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

I posted this in the DVD section of the forum, but I figured I'd put it here, too, in case someone could help out:

I've been debating if I want to try to make one of these so-called DVD-VCD discs. See, I have a bunch of AVI videos of TV shows which I'd like to convert to a format that will play on my DVD player.

Now, I've gone a made a few VCD discs, but when there are like 20+ episodes, this can be a pain when you only get about three episodes per disc.

I've also tried converting the AVI files to DVD, but then the same problem seems to arise. Once it converts over to MPEG-2, the file size is generally over 1GB, so I can still only get a few episodes per disc.

I've been reading about this DVD-VCD thing and I can't figure out if this is mainly for people who have videos in VCD format, or what? Because, in theory, if I could make a DVD in VCD format, I could fit a lot more episodes on to one DVD than I could on CD. In other words, is there a way to basically burn a VCD format collection of videos onto a DVD rather than a CD?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes of Cource....VCD"s on DVD aren"t some specialized Format or a Non-Standard Format, VCD"s are 100% DVD Compliant files accept for the audio which has to be 48000hz for it to be DVD Compliant....
    The VCD Format is pretty Much exactly the same as the SIF/CIF DVD format....
    You can Fit over 6 Hours of Video on a DVD in SIF/CIF Format and when useing this Format you can use either Mpeg1 or Mpeg2.....

The Problem with letting "Tmpgenc DVD author" resample the audio to 48000HZ is that it also converts the audio to LPCM/Wav format which takes up as Much space on the DVD as the Video does, or even More so it is allways best to resample the audio but keep it in the "Mpeg1 layer 2" format....

Cheers

4. Brajanath

Brajanath Member

Hi.

Could I interject something here? I've been wondering what could be wrong with my VCD project. The Audio is NOT in Sync with the video. The words spoken are a bit too slow than the actual expression in the picture, making the characters look funny. The person has finished talking but the words are still being heard spoken.

I'm using the method: Smart Ripper, DVD2AVI, and TMPGenc. I've followed in detail the instructions (that was posted in this forum) and I get good results, except for the synchronization of Audio and Video. I could have missed some vital settings here.
    Anybody had this problem? Please help!

Thanks,
    -Dan

5. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Okay, good, that's what I was hoping. Now I need to know how to burn one. As of yet, I don't have a program that I know for sure will burn VCD format to DVD...I suppose I could manually make a VCD image on the HD and then burn it to a DVD.

Maybe I'm just confused...can I simply use VCDEasy to create a VCD project large enough to fit on a DVD and then burn it from there? I haven't actually tried it yet, but I'll try when I get home.

6. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

see, i've read the guide on here on how to make them, but I was unsure of how to author them since all programs I've used recognize a VCD project as going to a CD.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK...What you have to do before authoring to DVD is Demux the Mpeg1/VCD file into seperate audio and Video files so you can re-sample the audio to 48000hz..

After doing that you download and Install "Tmpgenc DVD author" and you use it to Add menu"s and Chapters and to Burn them to DVD....

You actually don"t even have to de-mux and resample the audio because "Tmpgenc DVD Author" can do it but it will resample the audio and decompress it to LPCM/Wav format which will take up as Much space on the DVD-R as the Video will, so you would only get half as Much Video on the DVD cuz the audio takes up too much space....

With Video DVD"s the Files have to be authored with a DVD authoring Program, The DVD authoring program Formats and the Video files and Builds the File Structure of the DVD so your DVD Player can read it..
    Just Burning files to the DVD will Not work...

8. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Right, I read the quide and I've resampled the audio. So to actually burn them, all I should have to do is burn a DVD-video disc as normal?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

After resampleing the Audio you have to author the Files to DVD useing a DVD authoring program....

"Tmpgenc DVD author" will Format the Files with the Menu"s and Chapters you select into a "VIDEO_TS" Folder and then It will Burn the Video_TS folder to DVD....

So "No" you do NOT burn the Files to DVD...Tmpgenc DVD Author will "Author" the Files to DVD for you...

10. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

No, I understand what you're saying, I'm just trying to make sure I get this down right before I go and screw anything up or waste tons of time and wind up doing it wrong.

I didn't mean just burn them straght as a data disc, I'm not that stupid. I understand how VCDs work and how a "typical" DVD-video works. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a different way to author a DVD-VCD vs. a DVD-video.

Regardless, I appreciate your help. At least I know now that what I originally thought of this so-called "DVD-VCD" was correct. This should, in theory, save me lots of time and discs...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]-Matt
    http://www.STLEcomics.com[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  11. Minion

Minion Senior member

You author it like any DVD....

12. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I know that tmpge dvd author does turn the audio into a Uncompressed Lpcm but u can disable that option if u have already sampled ur audio correctly, to do this just use dvd2svcd it uses besweet to transcode audio it also downsamples to 44100khz but no matter what tmpge dvd author will resample to 48000khz

13. badkitty4

badkitty4 Member

here is my question. i have shrek 2 VCD 2cd-r's. I want to put the those 2 cds onto 1 DVD. Why cant VCD go onto a DVD just like it does a CD-R. Why does the format have to change or resample? DVD really is only a bigger disc.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

No DVD isn"t just a Bigger disk....

DVD has it"s own Standards that have to be Followed if you want your files to Play on your DVD Player...

And the DVD standard Specificly states that the audio MUST be 48000hz so that is why the audio needs to be re-sampled...

If you only have 2 VCD files that you want on a DVD then you can simply just use "Tmpgenc DVD Author" and it will do the resampleing and everything for you...
    It is sort of a Waste of Space just Putting one VCD Movie on a CD-R especially when you can fit 3 or more movies on a DVD when in VCD format....

15. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Yea DVD audio does havta be 48000hz in order for the audio to play back properly but for the video this is were tmpge plus comes in, the frame rate must be 29.97 fps and 352x240 same as vcd but there are ways to recode the vcd mpeg-1 file in to a mpeg-2 with the same ratio and frame rate as a standard vcd think of this as adding svcd to to dvd but a lot less complex. but if ya wanna take them two shrek vcd's and make one dvd just rip the dat file usin vcd easy and it will give ya a real mpeg file do this for both discs and merge them in tmpge to have just one mpeg. ok now go into tmpge and recode the mpeg into a dvd ntsc or pal whatever u prefer, and select ES Audio and Video this will give ya 2 resulting files a m2v and pcm wave file then use tmpge dvd author and merge the two too create a full dvd of just shrek 2.

16. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Does anyone know if DVD Lab supports DVD-VCDs?

17. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Not sure if dvd-lab supports dvd vcd but some other good aps are nero vision express 2 or adobe, but tmpge dvd author is the easiest and gives good results but it isn't real creative so u cant create ur own customized menu u havta use what it gives ya.

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

No DVDLab does not support Mpeg1 files....
    I was Lucky cuz i made all of my VCD"s useing Mpeg2 files instead of Mpeg1 files so I was able to use DVDLab to put my Mpeg2 VCD"s on DVD....

19. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Well is there any good DVD Authoring software that lets you make your own menus and have mpeg1 video? I have mostly .avi files and converting them to mpeg2 takes about 6 hours whereas mpeg1 takes about 1.5 to 2 hours.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there is "Tmpgenc DVD author" but I wouldn"t call it a Good DVD authoring program ....
    You can also Use something like "Ulead DVD workshop 2.0" which supports Mpeg1 Files....

Encodeing to Mpeg1 should take the Same ammount of Time as encodeing to Mpeg2 if you use the Same Resolution...
    So if you encode the File to Mpeg2 at 352+240 it should take the same ammount of Time as encodeing to Mpeg1 at 352+240 but you should get better quality useing Mpeg2 and better compatibility with DVD Players and DVD authoring Software....

Even encodeing to Mpeg2 at Full D1 DVD resolution (720+480) only takes a Little over an hour for a 2 Hour movie on My system when useing CCE SP 2.67...

When encodeing to Mpeg2 at 352+240 useing CCE SP I can encode a 2 Hour movie in about 20 minutes or about 5 Times real time.....

You should maybe consider useing a faster encoder, Even the MainConcept encoder can encode to Ful D1 DVD resolution at about real time when useing a System like yours and it"s Quality is Quite good when you set it up correctly....

Cheers