1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making dvd's not vcd's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by buddylee, Nov 9, 2002.

1. buddylee

buddylee Guest

I'm looking for someone to help make dvd's not vcd's or compressed video. Dvddecrypter does it iso mode but only up to 4.3 gigs. Otherwise you have to rip in ifo mode which smartripper does too. The file size is regular video size but the vob files can't be supported. I'm wondering about this iso mode that makes dvd's that play in my dvd player like a normal dvd. Authoring tools don't accept vob files ripped in ifo mode either. They only play in powerdvd or make data discs which only play with powerdvd from my dvd-rw drive. What can I do. All material I've read or threads I've started here only give you the advise to burn vdcd's or svcd's and compress the video which takes hours. I've tried making a data disc and reipping in iso mode and burning but it doesn't work. Can anyone help? I just want to make dvd's onto dvd-r's with my dvd-rw drive, and be able to make so I can make 2 discs for movies over 4.3 gigs. Can it be done? I think it can especially if dvddecrypter has an iso mode. Please help.

2. malum

malum Regular member

Have you actually read any of the topics in here at all. Have a look at the sticky threads at the top!!!!!

3. framerman

framerman Regular member

4. buddylee

buddylee Guest

Thanks framerman but the site you gave still suggests re-encoding if stripping doesn't work which it wouldn't with long movies like the Godfather. Stripping will work with full Metal Jacket b/c movie less than 2 hours. I still haven't found advice for 3 hour movies such as Godfather or Fellowship of the Ring keeping the size and doing something that the ido mode of dvddecrypter does. I wish the iso mode had something to separate the movie so you could burn just as you ripped. I guess there is no way to burn a dvd and not a vcd of the Godfather and just put it onto 2 dvd-r's. There has to be without re-encoding to a lower bitrate. Some people just don't understand that there are beginners and leave stupid comments like the guy who answered before you, obviously forgetting the learning process he or she or shim had to go through.

5. malum

malum Regular member

Hello *knocks on glass*

read the stickies at the top it explains exactly what you need to do to copy long movies.
    It's what I did, and it should be the first part of the learning process. If you can't even be bothered to do that then you don't deserve help.

6. Zhadoom

Zhadoom Member

7. Insite

Insite Guest

FYI, 3+ hour movies look fine after transcoding if you do it right. It's all a matter of properly allocating higher bitrates to the more complex parts of the film. I transcoded Godfater 1 to a single DVD and it looks pretty much like the original (I can tell the difference on a pc (BARELY) but not on my TV).

8. framerman

framerman Regular member

I'm sorry, I did misguide you about the DVD process, but I guess I am not like most people as zhadoom suggests. I would much rather try to put a movie on one disc rather than splitting it to two discs unless absolutely necessary. If it is a long movie such as godfather, then yes. I was also referring you to dooms site, my mistake on sending you to the wrong part. Doom is an excellent place to find out how to do all of this, no matter what your question is.

9. Insite

Insite Guest

Framer - I agree with you. Two disks is a pain (and doom is a great site). I have yet to find a single movie that I couldn't compress to a single disk with EXCELLENT quality. For me, the trick was learning to use CCE really well. The guide on doom doesn't really explain what some of the parameters mean (it just tells you what to make them). After learning what it all meant and experimenting a bit, I KNOW that it's possible to have movies compressed to bitrates of 3000 or even less that still look fantastic if you allocate the bitstream properly. I've backed up hundreds of movies and they all look great.