1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD's out of MPEG files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ezrides, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ezrides

ezrides Member

I recently purchased Pinnacle DVD studio and have had horrible results trying to capture and edit my home movies.
    I have a fairly new computer with a P4 2.4ghz and 512MB ram, but the program tends to crap out repeatedly. What should take a couple hours, usually takes days to complete....bottom line IM over it.

I was able to capture and convert to MPEG file several of my movies. Now, I just want to burn them in DVD format so that I can give them to family and watch them on my DVD player at home.

What can I do?
    I have serached the threads and found nothing specific, or that seems like its doing what i need to do.
    Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ezrides, Welcome to our little Club -

You should have no trouble using NeroVision to take your MPEG to a DVD Give it a try.

If your MPEG files are DVD compliant -
    A second choice would be to use TMPGEnc DVD Author.

If your MPEG files are not DVD compliant then use TMPGEnc to take them from MPEG to a DVD compliant MPEG then DVD Author to give you your VOB's then burn to disc -

Enjoy,

Pete

3. ezrides

ezrides Member

Thanks Pete, I just got through reading up on TMPGEn and I think thats what I'll do.

This whole DV editing has got me in a quandry. Maybe I don't have the right software, or maybe I just don't have the right machine, but its WAYYYY too much trouble to edit these home movies.

I was wanting to make a simple 4 minute music video to my daughter with video of her growing up and still pics, but I have had a horrible time getting this done.

I no technical dummie, and I realize with the insurgence of DV camcorders this task should be relatively simple....but not for me.

I just bought a new DVD recorder from the house and I think Ill just stick to straight copying from tape to DVD and keep it at that.
    Thanks

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I suggest you try TMPGEnc DVD Author - it will do exactly what you want.

Another suggestion would be DVDLab - you can make truly excellent chapters with that -

I suggest a Jack Daniels and 7 up and a quit room and you'll be having fun in no time (just don't run out of JD. (Lol)

Cheers,

Pete