1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making MP3s

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Marz, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Marz

Marz Member

Hey, I was wondering if there is any software that allows you to record your own mp3s. I have a concert on a video(tape) and I was wondering if i run a wire from the vcr to my computer, can I make an mp3 out of it and then just break up the mp3 into separte tracks?

2. Marz

Marz Member

3. gavorney

gavorney Member

Yes you can. Download MP3 DirctCut from

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch

and you can record from your sound card's line input, and then split the recording into separate tracks, including fading in and out if you want.

4. Marz

Marz Member

Yeah...that link didn't work..but i used Windows movie maker and I was able to make mp3 from my source. However, b/c the show wasn't good audio to start off with, the audio had like a blank like hiss noise in the background and it is quite disturbing. Is there a way to reduce that noise, I know better wires might help, but is there like software that can improve quality?

5. Marz

Marz Member

opps...the link does work.i guess it was down before. Would mp3 direct cut help to improve the quality of the mp3s?

6. gavorney

gavorney Member

MP3DirectCut doesn't appear to have any noise-reduction features. If the original recording is poor, there's not much hope of improving the sound; however your MP3 copy should sound very close in quality to the original, provided you recorded at a reasonably high bitrate -- 192 kb/s or higher.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Noise reduction requires the decoding of MP3s and if you then re-encode them you'll significantly lose quality.

8. John375

John375 Guest

Use the software Goldwave....It has all the tools you need.....It can capture, de-noise and de-click, and edit out the separate tracks....Just set the time length for the length of the video tape (assuming you have enough HD space).....Goldwave can convert to MP3's.... Or save as Wav files, and use CDex to convert Wav to Mp3.

I often take a cassette player's output, plug it into the computer's sound card input, set Goldwave for a 30 to 45 minute capture, and Go....When done, I first save the big capture...And then go about pulling out the individual tracks, de-noising and volume adjust as I go along