1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making ps2 back up

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by shane157, Mar 12, 2005.

1. shane157

shane157 Member

I'm new here and read alot of posts, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for.
    I want to back up PS2 games that I have. I have DVD Decrypter, Nero ver 5.5.6.0, a DVD+R burner, PS2 SCPH 30001, version 1.5, my PC is 40GB, 256k, 2.6 pentium 4, running XP home, also have another PC with same system without DVD drive.
    Do I absolutely need a mod chip for the PS2? Some posts say yes and some say no, are they being sarcastic?
    Can anyone give me an exact step by step walk through on how to do it, and if I need a mod chip, tell me where I can get 1 cheap? Can I use my DVD+R or do I need DVD-R burner, can I use re-writable DVD+R's so if I mess up I don't waste a DVD?
    Please help!!!!

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

your how is your ps2 a v1.5? it's either a v1 or v2 there are no .5 version. I recommend using DVD-R on your system seeing how it's an older one and most older ones don't do so well with +R but, it all depends on your particular system seeing how what format gets read varies from system to system (this includes rw). as far as playing backups without mods, it is possible. Look up information on swap magic disc and flip top or slide card but mod chip is just easier and less hassle.

3. keras

keras Regular member

My burner is +/- and I have burnt a few + and they work just fine on my older PS2.

As for the mod, yes, I recommend swap magic 3.3 with a flip top lid. It works very well for me.

Remember, when burning an .iso, burn at the lowest speed possible. I think with plus it's 2.4x.

So really all you need is the swap magic and you should be good to go.

4. shane157

shane157 Member

Thanks for the couple of replies I got! For the first one from WEStar, I got ver 1.4 when I went into the system info when you first turn on the system without loading a disc, you can go to browser and system info, I clicked on version and it came up 1.4.
    As for swap magic, I assume that is some type of plug in or disc that I boot before the game, I am using something like that for my memory to save games now, call Memory Manager Plus, I think it is from the Gameshark makers.
    Are there any of the newer games like San Andreas out for PC, would I be better off playing games off of my 2.6 ghz pentium 4, 40GB, 256k, any places on the net where I could back up games?
    Thanks for any and all replies!!!!

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Beleive it or not the GTA games play better on my PS2 than they did on my PC. Unless you have a real good system with a good graphics card that is. I have a new dell and it just couln't keep up when you drove down the street the road would just go blue in front of you when you really got going fast.
    As for what you need for your PS2:
    Get Swap Magic 3.3 and a flip top. Then you won't need a mod chip. Swap Magic will load your back up games.
    And DVD Decrypter is a great program to back them up with.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105
    read the above forum for instructions on backing up games with some of the most popular software. Very good tutorial.