1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making video cd's from sony handycam DCR-HC20E

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kiki11, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kiki11

kiki11 Member

I have tried making video cd's from my sony handycam DCR-HC20E using the picture package software provided with the camera, but had some problems

1) the recorded cd had no audio

2) the quality was rather poor compared to the quality when I playback the movie direct from the camera connected to my TV.

Is it normal to have quality deterioration, and what can I do to solve these problems?? Can someone help? Thank.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

No, it is not meant to be. But from my experience, you need to do some trial and error to find out which software works best. Did you use Image Mixer?

3. kiki11

kiki11 Member

No, not yet I'll try that thanks.

4. kiki11

kiki11 Member

Before retrying, do you think I need a dvd writer for better results or is it enough to have just a 52x cd writer? The sony manual however says that it is possible to transfer ona dvd format by connecting to a Sony Vaio Notebook. Is that true?

5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Well, may be you should do this one step at a time. First, try transfer the files to your harddisk using the connection provided (USB/IEEE). If you use Image Mixer, the resulting files would be in mpeg format. Then try to view the files from the harddisk to see if the video and audio are O.K.. Then use a burning program to burn the mpeg files to a disc. If a cd writer is all you have, then you can only make VCDs. Anyway, the best way is to check the results yourself to see if you are satisfied.

6. kiki11

kiki11 Member

Yeah that what I'll do better take this step by step. Thanks for your advise mate - i'll let you know the outcome.

7. 36Chamber

36Chamber Member

I use Ulead Video Studio to capture the video from the camera and to compile the VCDs. It works great.

8. ankank

ankank Member

I've used imagemixer and then tried to burn the video onto a dvd, using my dvd burner. when i play back the regular size dvd on my computer, it works, but when i try to show it on a tv (in my dvd player) it does not work. I've tried both the plus and minus types of discs. any suggestions?

9. Tibor69

Tibor69 Member

Hi,

Haven't you experienced, that you get much lower image quality on the downloaded .dv file, then LCD?

It is much more dark. I've downloaded via iLink on different operating systems, but the quality was worth.

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear ankank,
    As I've said, DVD copying is still pretty much a trial and error thing. So you just have to be patient and experiment a little more. If you can transfer, burn, and see video on your PC, then ImageMixer is probably working fine for those purposes. Re. the stand alone player thing, there are a couple more things that you can try:
    1) try to use ImageMixer to do the data transfer, BUT another program (e.g. Nero) to do the burning.
    2) try to use more reliable media (search this site for some good recommendations)
    Finally, use rewritables for tests to cut down on losses.
    Good luck!

11. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Tiber69,
    Again, it's not meant to be. Try to use a different yet compatible software (e.g. Nero or DVDSanta)to do the job to see if it's any better.
    Good luck!

12. Tibor69

Tibor69 Member

Dear scf_au,

Thanks for the answere.

I have not burned any VCD or DVD yet, because as I downloaded the video from the tape to the PC through the FireWire cable, I experienced that the image quality is terrible. I used the attached SONY software, I also used the Unled ... was given to the HAMA FW DV kit. Finally I used Kino under Linux. The three different software gave exactly the same result. That's why I asked that anyone has the same problem or just I got a factory failed camera.

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Tibor69,
    You just need to try more alternatives. There are quite a few softwares that have video capture function. Nero and DVDSanta are two of them, pretty good ones they are too. Why don't you download the trial version of Nero and give it another go?