1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

man I need help

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by tonynorm, May 29, 2004.

1. tonynorm

tonynorm Member

I have just started TRYING to convert my mm8 movies to disc and hell am I having some problems.
    I capture the movie ok, using Ulead and Moviemaker2 and save the file to the hard drive as a sample for the time being.
    it is when I want to use nero 6 to burn it to a disc(have been using VCD format as I have heap of RW disc no RW dvd,s.
    I keep getting a error about mpeg format not recoginised
    How do I fix this and what am I doing wrong.
    Very frustrating.
    Please help

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it seems that you don"t really know what you are doing.....
    Firstly Nero does not Author DVD"s, and you can only make a DVD with a DVD compliant Mpeg2 File...
    So First Capture your Movie as a 720+480 AVI file and save it to Your Hard drive(It could take anywere from 15gb-60gb per Hour of Video depending on the Type of AVI file you are Captureing)...
    After captureing you must use a High Quality Mpeg encoder to Encode the AVI file to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file, there are only a couple Good encoders, ones Like Tmpgenc and Mainconcept Encoder are good most others are Crap Includeing the DVD Plugin for Nero....
    After you have encoded the Captured AVI file to Mpeg2 you will have to use a DVD authoring program to add the Menu"s and Chapters and to format it all into a "Video_TS" Folder which it then Burns to DVD....
    A very simple to use DVD authoring Program is "Tmpgenc DVD Author"...(Different from Tmpgenc the encoder)....
    You can download 30 day fully working Demo versions of Both "Tmpgenc" and "Tmpgenc DVD author" in the software section of this site....good luck

3. tonynorm

tonynorm Member

Thank you for the quick reply and your advise I will do as you say and is it ok If I let you know of my progress.
    tony

4. tonynorm

tonynorm Member

Just a quick question.
    What software do you use to make your 8mm to disc format,
    EG movie maker or !!!!!!!
    tony

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I use a Variety of different programs and different techniques when Captureing Analogue Material to my PC and makeing DVD"s out or it, it all depends on if I am going to do editing and effects or Not and how much disk space i have....

The way I get the Best Quality is I Capture to AVI format useing Either the HuffYUV Codec or Uncompressed AVI or sometimes useing the Sony YUV codec or some other Lossless Very Low compression Codec..I capture useing a Number of different programs, anything from IU_VCR to Virtual-Dub to Adobe Premier or Vegas Video 5 or even the MainConcept Encoder has a good capture Utility....
    After Captureing if I have to do any editing i usually do it in Vegas Video 5.....
    Then i take the AVI file and I use a Tool called "AVISynth" which is a sort of command line Video tool that uses a sort of Scripting Language to implement it"s functions and it"s filters functions..It is a very complex tool to use but it has some of the best Filters for cleaning up the Video and de-interlaceing and many many other things of any tool i know ....Then I frameserve the video to the encoder I use which is CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.67 which is the fastest and highest quality encoder out there but also very complex to use properly...
    And after encodeing I use Vegas Video 5 to encode my audio file to Dolby Digital AC3 and then use one of Many different DVD authoring programs to create the DVD ,Which one depends on the DVD and how I want it to look but Most of the Time I use DVD-Lab and i have been trying out the new DVD-Lab Pro version which is Pretty Nice also....
    I usually don"t tell poeple to do it the way i do it because My way it usually far to complicated to do for most poeple and Most poeple don"t have access to the software that i do so i usually try to tell poeple to do it a Easier way that works useing easier to get software.....

well good luck