1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many problems booting backups with top loader swapmagic 2.0

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kornacus, Mar 31, 2004.

1. kornacus

kornacus Guest

I am getting so frustrated, i wasted so many DVD-R's already, i think its time to ask for some help.

I bought the top loader with the swapmagic dvd 2.0 and swapmagic cd 3.0. I am using Phillips DVD-R's because they were on sale. I am also using Nero 6.0 as my burning software.

I do everything right, i create an image file, then burn it onto the dvd without interuptions.

I tried loading GTA: VC, it would load out of the "Insert Disc" screen, but then just freeze.

I tried loading Need for Speed Underground, but it would just freeze at the "Insert Disc" screen.

I tried loading Manhunt, it works, but its really choppy.

I tried loading 007 and R Racing Revolution, they play for the first like, 5 minutes, and then just freeze.

This is so aggrivating. I tried burning the Swapmagic 3.0 from that sticky post and it wont work for me.

I put in the Swapmagic 2.0, then i swap it with swapmagic 3.0, then i eject, i put in GTA: VC original, then i swap it with a backup...am i supoosed to be pressing any buttons during these opperations?

Thank you VERY much for your help guy. I really appreciate it. Im new here btw.

2. UKbulldog

UKbulldog Guest

I'm new to this too. Had a lot of problems with my no-solder chip and SwapMagic discs.

Are you booting off the CD version disc and then swapping to the dvd version and then the backup disc? You only need to boot off just one boot disc. GTA Vice city does work, but I am having problems with Mafia and True Crime, streets of LA

3. kornacus

kornacus Guest

i put the swapmagic dvd 2.0 in, then i swap it w/one of those backups that i listed, and press either square of X (Tried both) and the games are choppy and freeze up. Could it be the DVDR's that im using maybe? or the DVD burner? Liteon 4x i believe i have.

4. UKbulldog

UKbulldog Guest

I use CompUSA DVD-R (relabeled Princo's). I've had problems, notably with Mafia and True Crime: Streets of LA, but I have made a few backups that work.

Easy way to check is try loading your originals just like you do with the backup. If the original boots and plays, then your copy is no good. If the original won't work, you have reached one of the modchip-free limitations and may need to use another boot disc in addition to the SwapMagic disc:

http://www.swapmagicfix.com

This site has a list of problem games and help info.

Also, when swapping to the backup disc, wait a few seconds till the drive stops seeking and then hit X or square.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

1. dont use cheap media (princo is bad, ritek or verbatim are good)
    2. burn at 1x
    3. some games need cd loader (mafia and true crime). check swapmagicfix as UKbulldog said.
    4. try cleaning your ps2 laser with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

6. UKbulldog

UKbulldog Guest

Princo are pretty good, have you seen the prices some places sell them for?

7. mr_nasty

mr_nasty Member

I used princos and i have no problems. also i burnt a few games with the cheapest media i ever found .55 cents each and i have no problems... Its just a mind set

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

really, i got a 25 pack of princo and burned movies and games to them. Games wouldn't load, and towards the end of the movies, the disc became unreadable.

9. UKbulldog

UKbulldog Guest

I know I said wait a few seconds before hitting X/square but for me, (I have no solder modchip which ejects the tray) sometimes it works better if you hit X just as the tray is closing and the tray makes a "clunk" sound and starts loading.

Try hitting X as you push the top closed, you need to have good timing but this works for me

10. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I've been using Princo media for a while. I bought 100 of them under the starlogic label. I've burned about 70 of them thus far and have had 2 of them crap out while burning. Other than that they have all worked great and only cost 20 cents each.

Mafia does require the cd loader, but I have True Crime and it boots just fine with only the swap magic dvd...no cd loader needed. I would use dvd decrypter, which seems to be an easier, more reliable program than nero. I used to use dvd decryprer and never had a problem with it. Now, all I do is straight 1:1 copies, since I have 2 dvd burners.

11. quickcam

quickcam Member

I can help you out. I have just started doing this too and have done lots of studying up and reading. I ran into problems with manhunt as well. The thing that finally worked for me is to make .mds files of the game using Alchohol 120%, then i burn the disk at 1 speed using dvd decryptor.
    Then all i do is use my dvd swap magic 2 and insert the game. Fixed all my problems. you may alos need to use dvd loader with your dvd swap magic. that can be found at ps2owenz.com. be sure to register to get the forums. and throw out that cd loader and cd swap magic 3. they are usless if you want things to run right. if you need more help pm me.

12. kornacus

kornacus Guest

thanks for your help. I will try and see if that will work for me. Ill let you know. What do you mean about the DVD loader, i can get that at ps2owenz.com? Will it load the dvdr's and cdr's?

13. quickcam

quickcam Member

OK. If you go to ps2owenz.com you will need to register. wait a day and go back to the site after registering and open the forums. there is a forum with " 1:1 " in the title. open it and download the last dvd loader program on the site. burn it to dvd using dvd decrypter and it should work. if you have any porblems with it pm me your e-mail addy and i will send you the dvd loader file.

14. kornacus

kornacus Guest

thanks a lot man. Im new, what is pm? Also, i downloaded alcohol 120% and i burned the manhunt image onto my harddrive and then when i went to image burning wizard, it wont start because its not reading my dvd burner. Any ideas? Thanks

15. quickcam

quickcam Member

use the program to make the image, but dont use it to burn the image. use DVD Decrypter. it can be found easily all over the web or kazza. Remember to always burn at 1x or the game will be choppy. Also download the dvd loader to make the loadinhttp://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11133.g of the game faster. there is the link. like i said, you will have to wait a day for the regisrtation before the file will show up

16. kornacus

kornacus Guest

ok, i signed up for the forums. I already have dvd decryptor so ill use it to burn at 1x. Ill wait till tomorow to get that dvd loader file and i will let you know how it turns out. thanks again.

17. quickcam

quickcam Member

no problem. I know what its like to have problems doing this and not be able to find someone to help me out.
    remember after loading the dvd loader, press x to open the options and select 5v3, then switch back to swap magic dvd, hit x , and slide card or flip top to load the game.

18. evo_supra

evo_supra Member

Well im not sure if it stops the game crashing but if you burn 'Olfans sm3dvd' onto disc and swap boot that method using an genuine high TOC game like Dark Chronicles or GTA:Vice City, FFX etc then it all should play properly.

For me it seemed to have solved the following problems;

slow loading
    game intro lagging or stuttering
    music skipping
    mid game crash

So once youve burned 'Olfans sm3dvd' image onto DVD. Just follow this method. Boot 'SM DVD 2.0' till is says 'Insert Disc' then SWAP boot the Olfans dvd (which is exactly the same as SM CD 2.0) and then 'EJECT' the disc and place in a real PS2 game with high TOC like i mentioned above. Once TOC is refreshed, just 'SWAP boot' for the backup title. Hope it helps coz i thought it was either my burner or backup discs too. I use Philips DVD+R's and burn with Philips burner and DVD Decrypter. Cya!

19. kornacus

kornacus Guest

Is the Olfans file the same as DVD Loader? I burned the olfans file and did the whole load, swap, eject, load, swap thing and i put in manhunt and it loaded perfectly, without any skipping. I went to play game and it loaded...but just froze at the loading screen. I was amazed and happy...until it froze... Any ideas?

20. evo_supra

evo_supra Member

no the dvd loader is another kinda thing, coz i have that too but the Olfans works better. I dont know how big the TOC is for Manhunt but check your other games on this list

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/31557

The bigger the game the better.