1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many work, but some don't!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gexplorer, Dec 11, 2003.

1. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Hi there, I've been burning Primedisc dvd-r and I am really happy with this brand. But there is something I don't understand.
    I've copied more than 20 movies on primedisc dvd-r’s using dvdshrink and then Nero6, and all (except 3) worked great in both my Denver dvd and my Thomson dvd. What I don't understand is why those 3 don't work!
    In 2 of them what happens is that the dvd players doesn't recognize the disks as playable dvd's. The Thomson is still able to identify the name or label of the dvd, but nothing else. The 3rd one plays great until mid movie, but after that it just starts having problems reading the disk.
    What intrigues me the most is that all 3 play great in the dvd-rom of my computer.
    Any comments or tips about this?
    Thanks

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you were to read the threads under DVD-R media section you would soon realise that getting a few coasters from a batch of discs is not that unusual, especially from the cheaper brands. Additionally I would not recommend the Thomson DVD player. They make great TV's but are lacking in the DVD player department, as I know from experience.

3. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Primedisc isn't exactly a cheap brand, and are ritek. What suprises me is that both the Thomson and the Denver (that reads everything) don't read those 3, but my dvd-rom reads it perfectly!

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I would classify any Ritek as a cheaper brand but usually they are very reliable. The 3 discs you refer to were probably not up to scratch and slightly faulty. You can always check the state of the dye on the burn side of the disc. Any slight scratches or blemishes in the dye are likely to produce a faulty copy. It seems as though the burn itself was fine. The reason that your PC appears to play them fine is because a PC drive reads a disc with much less effort than a conventional standalone player becuase it is fed into and read by a system which is much more powerful. Nevertheless if you continue to get this problem with future batches of discs it might be worth trying them on a different standalone.

5. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

There has also been much debate about what is a good Ritek and what is not. Grade A, Grade B Etc... try another set of disks and see if the same thing happens, thats why i stoped using Bulkpaq orange

6. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Well, now since my pc reads the disks, do you think that I can copy directly from the faulty ones to other new disks and not get the same problems?

7. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

No because Pc's can re read and "fill in" missing data. there is still a good chance a copy would not work due to missing data

8. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Ok, thanks a lot man!

9. malum

malum Regular member

"No because Pc's can re read and "fill in" missing data. there is still a good chance a copy would not work due to missing data
    "

The PC doesn't fill in missing data it corrects errors, if the data is missing nothing will bring it back.
    If the PC can read the disc you can make a perfect copy from it, just rip it to the Hard drive and make a copy from there.

10. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Ok, but my doubt is this: will the dvd be readable in my dvd players or will it happen the same as the faulty original? Will it also copy the same errors making the copy also unreadable?

11. malum

malum Regular member

The errors aren't missing data they are surface errors caused by crappy media.
    You PCs DVD drive can correct these, your standalone cannot as it's error correction isn't as good.

If you can rip the disc with decrypter without it stopping for errors then it'll be fine.

12. koola

koola Guest

This isn't always true as some DVDs can play fine on the sandalone, but do not play on the original PC DVD drive/burner.

The success of backing up DVDs depends on your system congiguration and the software correctly congigured. Make sure you have the latest driver installed on your system and that you backup your DVD in the correct way.

If you do this then your DVDs will be fine.

Good luck :D

13. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

So you don't have the original movies to make another copy? Hmmm, sounds a bit suss to me, LOL, :) just jokes buddy, i'm sure, like me, you have all the original discs. :0

Bailey