1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark or label

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mkaone, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hello Everyone,

Got a couple of questions
    What is the thought of putting dvd labels on dvd disc's? For example the ones from Fellowes, Neato.
    Will they warp, not last as long? whats your opinion?

Also what about writing the titles on with permanent sharpies or cd/dvd markers?

Thanks
    mkaone

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... As far as I'm concerned, there's really no choice here. It seems to be the general consensus around these forums that stick on labels cause nothing but headaches ... If you need a fancy label, get a disc printer and printable discs ... As far as using a Sharpie ... That's what I've been using for some time and (in my humble opinion) is the only way to go ... Other members share this opinion ...

3. mkaone

mkaone Member

great thanks alot

sharpie sounds good to me, I just want to write the name on disc

thanks

you mentioned stick on labels cause a problem, what would that be? If you don't mind answering

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

stick on labels tend to cause read errors and playback problems they have even been known to come of in the player(you can imagine what problems that causes)

5. mkaone

mkaone Member

thanks for the info

mka

6. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

The issue the labels cause to the DVD playback is that it throws the disc off balance, therefore not playing back properly with skips etc....

Do not use labels, if you want nice pictures, do what I did and go out and invest in the Epson R200 printer to print directly on the media itself, works like a charm and looks like the original.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mkaone,

I like to use a sharpie to mark my discs, and then make my own covers with Nero's cover design(included in the Nero Ultra 6 suite).

I get the covers from cdcovers.cc and i buy my cases from ebay for around 20.00/case including shipping.

I get my paper from Epson (photo quality paper) for about 13.00/100 pack and they look real good once inserted behind the plastic on the case.

You end up with a nice quality backup that looks just like the original and no worries about disc problems with labels :>)

8. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

bigorange

The paper you use, is it literally a photo paper...is is ot more of a dull paper with a shimmer to it?

Just wondering as I am still searching for a good paper that will show good quality behind the plastic cover of the cases?

Thanks a lot

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

autOpsy, I was using Kodak expensive photo paper until someone told me about these. It's a kind of heavy paper that is extremely white. I have printed on it and compared it to really good plain paper and the difference is amazing! The colors are vibrant.

It is not glossy and heavy like more expensive photo paper that I was paying 25.00/50 sheets for. But when you insert it behind the plastic you can't tell a difference. I did a little test with my wife, and she picked 5 out of 6 wrong with a test of 3 each!

If you want to try a pack I'll send ya the link :>)

10. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Dont mean to take over the thread! :)

bigorange yah please do send me the link so I Can see exactly what kind of paper it is and go and pick some up for sure!

Thanks

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

here ya go, it's called Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper;

http://www.epsonstore.com.

BTW, make sure you get the right side up, it's the whiter side, it lays face down from the front. It will make a big difference.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  12. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Thanks you sir, I will take a look at it!

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :>)

14. forkndave

forkndave Member

If you're going to order this paper from Epson you may as well get it in A4 size. It's a little bit longer than 8.5 X 11" and is a little more suitable to print case labels with some printers. If 8.5 X 11" is O.K. for you, then you can buy Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet paper at Staples and maybe Best Buy. Another good paper for labels is HP Premium Presentation paper. It only comes in 8.5 X 11" size, though. It's a little heavier (32#) and it is coated on both sides, so you can print on either side. The saturation characteristics are very similar the the Epson paper. It's also about $12.99 for 150 sheets.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, well hell dave, since i originlly got the idea from you and Tom I guess I'll have to check this out ;>)

Where do you get the HP paper, can you get it over the net for cheap shipping to go with the price?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  16. forkndave

forkndave Member

Big O
    I haven't ever tried to order it on the internet. There's a Staples about a mile and a half from my house and I just go there. I think most office supply stores would have it. Best Buy or CompUSA might also have it. I haven't really looked for a cheap source since it's only $12.99 (I think) for 150 sheets. I only bought this because I ran out of paper once and I went to Staples. I think they were out of the Epson paper , so I tried this. After using it I think I actually like it better, mainly because of the two sideness and the 150 sheet package. I prefer the A4 size that Epson has, but it's not necessary with my printer. My printer will print just about to the edge of the paper. You might want to try it if you ever run accross some. I don't think either paper is really better, but the HP is a little cheaper

Dave

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, Thanx Dave, yeah we got Office Max and Staples so I'll check it out. I was actually getting ready to order some and anyway, I like the 8x11 size better.

Appreciate the info :>)