1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

massive compatibility problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by emooretc, Feb 14, 2005.

1. emooretc

emooretc Member

Hey guys, i have been backing up movies for a while now using dvd shrink, and i went through my first 100 sony dvd+r's and they played fine on both my xbox and other dvd players. My burner then crapped out on me and i got a replacement, it is a liteon sohw-16333s. I got a new one and started burning again this time with hp discs, i burned another 100 discs without really checking them, and now i am realizing that most/all of them are not working in my xbox and most of them are not working in a variety of other dvd players. So then i though that i had a really bad batch of discs. I bought a bunch of brand new TDK discs and started burning those, but those too dont seem to be working. Has anyone else come across a problem like this, in my xbox, i get an error that says that the xbox can not recognize the disc, please make sure it is a dvd or game...blah..blah blah. Could this be a firmware issue? I am very confused and slgihtly upset that i have spent so much time backing up movies that now dont work. Any thoughts on the topic would be really apreciated.

Eric

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Any thoughts?

First thought: not an advanced forum question; probably a media forum question.

Second thought: you didn't provide enough info. Specifically, what media format did you change to? Did you go from dvd-r to dvd+r by any chance?

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

use a program called kprobe and check your burn quality of some of your discs first

4. emooretc

emooretc Member

I apologize for putting it in this forum but it could have gone in media, burners dvd shrink...etc and i thought it would be a question that advanced users would be more inclined to answer. In answer to your question:
    Since i have been having problems i have tried
    hp dvd+r 8x
    TDK DVD+r 8x
    Liteon DVD-R 8x

and on all of these discs i would get movies that wouldnt read in dvd players, they would read in my computer just fine so i know they are getting burnt, but for some reason they are just not compatible.

Thanks Again

Ps
    Ill try Kprobe and see what it says

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

My apologies, too, for not reading more closely. I missed how you told us that the first brand you used, sony, were dvd+r's. So where I was going with my question about the format of the brands you switched to may not apply. Some dvd players, especially older ones, are picky and may not support dvd+r. So I thought maybe you'd switched from dvd-r to dvd+r.

I agree you probably need to check your burn quality. Besides kprobe, if you have the Nero suite, you have the Nero tool "Nero CD-DVD Speed" and on the "Extra" pull down menu is an option to "Scan Disk." dvdinfopro is also a nice program for this, as well as for identifying the actual manufacturer of the dvd (not always who you think). Especially those liteon dvd-r's.

I still think there might a format issue here. Rereading once again, I see where the problem began when you replaced your dvd burner. There is a possibility that your previous burner was setting the booktype of those Sony dvd+r's to DVD-ROM, and the new burner is not doing that. Some dvd players that will not play dvd+r's in their native format will play them if the booktype is DVD-ROM. A strong indication that this is the problem would be if you had some known good quality dvd-r's and these burned and played in your dvd players and xbox okay.

6. emooretc

emooretc Member

I think i discovered the problem. When I got the replacement drive I just threw it in my comp. and didnt even think about flashing the firmware, and changing the booktype. So I went backed and flashed the newer firmware, and it appears to work on the TDK discs just fine. But the HP discs still did not work. I then went and changed the bookype to dvd-rom. and now it seems to work well for both the TDK and HP discs. It seems it was just stupidity on my part of rushing into burning again without making sure everything was in order. Thanks again for everyones help

Eric