1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix & Chameleon Chip Questions

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by MLCY, Oct 26, 2003.

1. MLCY

MLCY Member

Hi all,

First, I wanted to thank everyone that has helped me get my xbox modded correctly. Things are working well and I am making archival copies of my purchased games ļ

I am about to close up my Xbox, but I thought I would go ahead and upgrade the hard drive to a 120GB hard drive first. I have the Slayer evox auto-installer 2.5 so I don¡¦t think I will have any problems there.

When I purchased my Mod chip, I selected the Matrix chip and I also purchased the Chameleon add on chip. However, I did not install the Chameleon chip because it required me to scratch a couple of the trace ways on the Matrix chip prior to installing the Chameleon chip. Before I did that, I decided that I would get the Matrix chip working by itself. That way if I couldn¡¦t get it working correctly, I would know it wasn¡¦t because of what I did to the Matrix chip. Now that I have the Matrix chip working, I need to decide whether or not to install the Chameleon add-on chip. To be honest, I really don¡¦t understand what the benefits of having the Chameleon chip. I know that the Matrix chip is only a 256K chip and by adding the Chameleon add-on chip extends that to a 1MB of memory. But what does having 1MB of memory do for me over 256KB?

One final question about my Matrix chip, does anyone have a recommendation of the best settings for the dip switches on the Matrix chip? Apparently the dip switches control the ability to flash the Matrix chip with a new version of the BIOS. I just want to make sure I have it set correctly prior to close up the Xbox.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Greg

2. UncleT

UncleT Member

The matrix will only hold a 256k bios. Right now that's all that's needed to play any backup if you have your matrix flashed with either the x2_4977 or the newer evox_m7. The larger bios x2_4978.03 is 1mb because it contains an ftp program that will fit nicely on your Chameleon. What do you need your modchip to do? If you're going to install a bigger hd and ftp games onto it from your pc the x2_4978.03 will make that easier for you but the matrix can do it too with a different dashboard. Soon all bioses will be 1mb and you'll need that Chameleon but my matrix works great for now.

3. UncleT

UncleT Member

Oh yeah, the switches. If you leave it in mode 4 you can flash it without removing it from the xbox.

4. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok, so it kinda sounds like I should go ahead and install the Chameleon add-on module to my Matrix Mod chip. By cutting the three tracks on the Matrix Mod Chip, does that disable the 256KB on the actual Matrix Mod Chip or does that still exist? The reason that I ask is I dont know if I need to re-flash the combo Matrix/Chameleon Mod chip before I re-install it in my Xbox.

Thanks

Greg

5. UncleT

UncleT Member

Fraid so. When you cut the traces to the matrix it becomes a pogopin adapter for the Chameleon. I'd install just the Cham. and sell the matrix. Or you could always pm Rustydog the Chameleon expert. He knows everything and can even do what you want for a reasonable price.

6. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Sell your Matrix and buy the solderless adapter for the Chameleon. Or solder it in.
    I hate to see a good chip get hacked up, brings tears to my eyes, LOL.

RustyDog