1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix Infinity + Slimfix

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jaylee1, Feb 5, 2007.

1. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Hi I am new to this forum and Ps2 modding.
    I just installed a matrix chip and i had read about the laser problem so i fitted a slim fix to, when done i loaded a ntsc game fine then tryed a backup and it shut itself down..
    So i put the ntsc game back in and it did the same.
    My question is do i need the slim fix and is this what is causing the problem???
    Thanks Jay.

2. kevcal

kevcal Member

Mmmm...
    Questions -
    What version PS2?
    Is the game a CD-based one or DVD?
    Either way, can you try the other and see if you get the same result - ie it just keeps shutting down for a certain media or specific?
    I would just try 'real' games to start.

In my (albeit limited) experience, if the slimfix is shutting down the PS2, then it could be one of the diodes has blown (CD or DVD) - hence my question..

If shutdown occurs for both CD & DVD , does the laser lens look cloudy?

Kev

3. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Ok I can load a cd game (original)
    But a dvd one just shuts down.
    The matrix chip works ie. I can access the menu etc. with no disc in
    Should the slim fix not be protecting the laser?
    And its a ver. 14
    The ntsc game was an original that i tryed first and worked then a copy my mate did second and it started this.
    One other thing i thought of was that the baby had hold of the contorller when i rebooted will pressing the buttons on boot have made any difference?
    Thanks

4. kevcal

kevcal Member

Sounds to me like the copy has killed your dvd diode (there's one for CD and one for DVD reading). Could try music cd & dvd video to prove that. I thought the v14s were more resilient though :-(

This is exactly what happened to me - I had a 'wide laser' SPU-3170 - allegedly not as good as pvr-802.. A new laser assembly sorted it - the slimfix was shutting it down as soon as I put a dvd in; cds were fine (games ran, inc backups).

I installed slimfix a week after the Matrix Infinity and the diode died with a couple of uses.. (despite having check the pot value).
    The shutting down means the slimfix is working..

I would guess you have two options -
    1. you could try changing the dvd pot value until you can read dvds again (chances are that this won't work, but could get you some more laser use).
    2. Replace the laser - if it's a wide one, replace the whole assembly for the pvr-802 (which is what I did - I have a v12 though and don't know whether wide lasers are/were fitted to v14 - you'd have to check).

Of course there could probably be other reasons for all this, but the fact that you can no longer read original dvd games looks to me like the diode's gone (you can't just fix the diode - it really is tiny).

Anyway, this is my diagnosis I'm afraid (I'm in no way an expert). Have a search on this forum and also ps2-scene.org - you may get more info there.

Kev

EDIT: a quote from comsoft on the ps2-scene forum states that the fix doesn't protect the diode..
    I've heard from some that a resistor fix 'could' help - but I don't think anyone honestly seems to know..! Amazing eh? You'll get differing ideas from everyone!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  5. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

If you DON'T have a v12 (modem line on back), you don't need a laserfix. It shouldn't hurt your system if you have it though. If there is a TB point, did you un-short it?

6. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Ok
    @kevcal:

I fitted the slimfix and matrix at the same time so will this have saved the diode?
    When "the diode" is refered to is this the laser diode itself or is it a diode on the laser assy? I can beleve the laser diode itself is changable. My soldering skills are good and i can do most jobs with surace mount stuff but i don't know what to look for..

@ raderj:

Its a v14. What is the tb point? Is that the track that must be cut on the install of slimfix? If so yes i cut it..

Thanks guys...

7. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

That should read :can't beleve the laser diode itself is changeable"
    But i cant seem to find how to edit my posts????

8. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

The TB point is the test point. It's on the laser fixes I've used. Check out a v12 I modded here.

The laserfix is on the bottom left, and the TB point is directly above the ground (very bottom left). If you look closely, you can see that the two points aren't connected. When you first install the fix, you leave those points connected. If you turn on the system and it shuts off after 3 seconds, you know it's connected properly. You then can remove the bridge and finish installing everything else.

If it was me, I would remove the laser fix. It's not needed on the v14.

9. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

That looks different to the slim fix i fitted (ver4) one thing i noticed was on the gnd of the fix there was a cut out like on the xbox lpc rebuild pcb and just where the diagram showed the fix mounted was a solder pad but i never connected it as there was no mention of it and the install diagram was not clear enough to see this.
    P.s. Excellent layout on that install raderj wish i had the time to create a piece of art like that.. lucky if i get an hour to myself.

10. kevcal

kevcal Member

Yeah - sounds like you have the comsoft fix (v4). There is no test link you need to remove on that one.

It sounds to me like your install is fine - if CDs can be read but not DVDs, then it (I'm pretty sure) is the dvd diode - or you may be able to get away for a while by adjusting the pot - this will reduce the laser lifetime though).

I had exactly your problem and a new pvr-802 assembly off ebay sorted it (so far - a couple of weeks later). The only issue I see is that the v14 'shouldn't' get these problems..

Yes, if you have the v14, you aren't supposed to need the slimfix, but it doesn't (apparently) hurt to fit it.

The diode apparently isn't protected by the slimfix - the slimfix protects you from dsp and mechcon failures - in summary it stops the laser going into overload (unclipped AGC on the v12). I believed this was fixed on the v13+ with added components (see thread below).

Some useful reading for you:
    v13+ apparently fixed v12 problems :
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38368

My old thread (same as your problems?):
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51711

Very informative about slimfix design:
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35724

Replacing Diodes:
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52142&highlight=diode

BTW - post edit is that small icon at the top right corner of your post - looks like pencil+text (next to "Link to this message")

Kev

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  11. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Thanks for the help guys.
    I removed the slim fix and the laser is cooked so the slimfix is a waste of time as it did nowt...
    Thanks.

12. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

Good info Kevcal!

I believe slimline lasers aren't horribly expensive,so you could probably replace your laser and have everything work.

13. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

My new laser came this morning so b4 i fit it is there any fix i need to do first i have been reading various threads on different fix's one i spotted was the resistor fix is this to protect the laser or the coils i'm guessing the v14 don't need a coil fix but what about the diode. Also will the pots need adjusting or should they be set right....
    Thanks

14. kevcal

kevcal Member

Mmmm.. so difficult to recommend - Sounds to me like the v14 doesn't need the slimfix, but personally I don't know if you need it. You'll find many people arguing about whether to install the resistor fix on forums - some people saying it could make the laser have to work harder(!).

I don't think there is any fix that protects the diode - I may be wrong.

The comsoft slimfix detects mechcon/dsp failures - I think this implies if the laser get's (physically?) stuck (etc) and the PS2 can't read the disk correctly - usually the ps2 will increase power to the laser to help(!). The resistor fix limits the power to the laser - hence really another (not so good?) answer to the same problem? The diode fix I think was an early 'resistor fix' - nothing to do with the diode on the laser.. Another fault can be one of the chips (I forget the name), but I haven't had that problem, so know nothing about it.

Without circuit diagrams for this part of the PS2, I (or anyone else?) can't make any recommendations?

However, if it was me (and it's not), I'd install the comsoft slimfix only.. Okay this is only needed for v12 (apparently), but it allegedly doesn't hurt to have it.. I have a v12 with the comsoft fix and so far - no problems - but then I'm not using it much at the moment!

Another thing is to ensure your backups are of a good quality (esp DVDs) - burnt at a 'good' speed and not scratched as I think this is why the laser ends up burning out - more power req'd for reading damaged disks (in other words, disks the PS2 has trouble reading - I think some are more reflective than others).

In fact, bottom line is probably don't play backups.. but this probably what Sony want you to think :) and negates the point of it all.

I would have a good search on ps2-scene for v14 and see if others have had burnt out lasers so soon.

Just realise that lasers don't last for ever and it appears the ps2 has a very bad history on them.

Good luck, maybe someone with a v14 has an opinion?

Note that this is all my own understanding of the problems; I have no major experience of this sort of thing :) Just what I've seen on the v12.

Kev

PS - hope you bought a pvr-802.

EDIT: Oh and leave the pots alone(!)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  15. jaylee1

jaylee1 Member

Yep bought a pvr 802 not realising that it wont fit on my spu3170 carrige so i've ordered a carriage and laser so ive got a spare. The missus ordered the pvr but when i looked i could not belive that a laser and carrage was only a couple of quid more so i ordered one, i should get it in the morning.
    Thanks for the help guys...

16. kevcal

kevcal Member

Ah - so you do have the wide laser (SPU3170) - yeah you have to buy the whole assembly (sometimes it's cheaper!). I'd mentioned that previously in my post on 6th Feb :)

I've replaced my spu with the pvr.. The wide lasers are apparently rubbish; out of interest I've been using mine a fair amount and... so far so good - so hopefully you'll have at least the same success as I've had.

Note that there has been mention in some threads about having to align the laser using some ISO - haven't had to touch mine - just plug and play. Just be careful of the ribbon cables when you uninstall and reinstall - especially the 'stuck down' one - that can easily get caught up in the assembly if you don't lay it down flat (I didn't need to glue it, it was still sticky enough).

Good luck!

Kev

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  17. Kaiser85

Kaiser85 Guest

I would like to know exactly how complicated changing the laser unit to different model can be. I couldn't find very accurate information anywhere so I thought I'd ask here.

Kevcal, when you said "just plug and play" did you mean that was when you changed your laser to different model ? Was the physical installation exactly the same as it would have been with the original laser model (no need to modify PS2 case or anything)?

Also, like you said, some people tell me I would have to use a program called Lenschanger for a new model laser to work. If I ever need to do this, how difficult is it ? Is it possible that I permanently ruin my console during this process ? Since you didn't have to do it, do you know if there is anyway to find out whether I have to do it or not (before the installation) ?

Finally do you think laser's pots should be aligned no matter what model it is ?

Thank you

18. kevcal

kevcal Member

Note I did this on the slim ps2 (v12)

As I say, if you're changing from one laser type to another, make sure you buy the whole assembly - this should also be easier than actually replacing 'just the laser'.
    From what I remember the whole assembly doesn't cost much more than the laser (and in some instances it was cheaper!) - check ebay.

To replace the assembly -
    There were 3 ribbon cables - 2 had clips you had to move before removing the ribbon - don't just pull them(!).
    One is stuck down (the one onto the actual laser unit) - but you can carefully peel this away.. you reuse this ribbon cable (possaibly I reused all - I forget).

There are 4 screws - one in each corner of the laser assembly - you will probably have to reuse the rubber grommets.

The guy I bought mine off had a printout explaining how to carry out the procedure.

Note that since changing my spu to pvr - all disks work very well and had no problems. Didn't have to use the lenschanger software or adjust anything - but then I can;t guarantee this for anyone else - just my findings.

And yes, you could of course destroy your ps2, but if the laser's not working anyway... and if you're careful, there's no what I would say difficult parts to the process.

No you don't have to mod the case at all.

I will (given time soon) try to find some info that I found - think the link is on my home PC. This may have some pics detailing this a bit better than my text.

EDIT: new PC at home - lost all my links :( Here's the pvr lens+assembly (pic off ebay).

[​IMG]

Kev

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  19. Kaiser85

Kaiser85 Guest

Yeah, I was aware that i should buy the whole assembly. I have hear that plain PVR laser unit doesn't fit right with different model assembly.

I have v12 too so let's hope I don't need any modifications either. It seems the whole PVR assembly is only a little more expensive than plain SPU laser so Im going to take my chances with it. I don't like the idea that I should invest to a new laser after a month or so.

Thanks ! Your information was most helpful

20. kevcal

kevcal Member

Happy to be of service!

If you do have an SPU and are changing to a PVR (not all v12s have SPUs), then I can guarantee that on my v12 there were no case mods required :)

I'm starting to believe now the PVR change was the right one - no problems so far; note that I have the Matrix Infinity and Comsoft Slimfix installed - no apparent slimfix resets yet..

Suppose we won't know if the laser swap was really worth it until a few months down the line when it's still working hopefully.

To install the new lens/laser assembly you just have to take out the 6 screws that hold the case together, undo the 4 screws on the assembly, carefully remove the ribbon cables (note the clips) and replace it.
    The sticky ribbon cable PVR fixing has a clip that is slightly different to the SPU clip - I think the SPU one you lift, whilst the PVR one you have to slide..

Just take it easy, don't rush and make sure you have adequate lighting :)

Good luck and post your results,

Kev

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007