1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matshita dvd-ram sw-9581 with vob

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by madskull, Apr 24, 2003.

1. xtcnrg

xtcnrg Member

I bought time "power station" machine about a year ago. The best decision i ever made was arguing with Time, because i did not want their rip-off "Windows" backup/restore disc. Got machine, and 1st thing I did was to remove all partitions, format, re assign partitions and load my own version of XP professional (not home user version!). I use Stomp Recordnow Max for CD's and DVD's. No problems at all. (Nero is not fully compatible with the DVD side of recording). Admittedly not all DVD-R work with the Matshita 9581, but the best place to get them from is www.blankdiscshop.co.uk, and choose G04 dye discs that work with the Panasonic Recorders. (even overprints work perfectly). The machine works fine with DVD ripping software, avi re-encoding and dvd authoring software. (You just got to get the right ones!)

2. missypig

missypig Guest

Help Me! Until I (foolishly) purchased my computer from Time (aka We're here to waste your [bold]Time[/bold] and [bold]Money[/bold]), I considered myseld a fairly advanced PC user.

I too had problems writing to DVDs but CD's were fine. I then decided to update the drivers from the Panasonic Website. Now the not so wonderful SW-9185 won't read or write disks of [bold]any[/bold] sort.

It won't let me roll back the drivers and there are no DVD ram drivers on the coaster of a disk Time sent with the PC.

Time won't give me the time of day. HELP! What can I do now? Has anyone else had this problem?

3. arthmowe

arthmowe Member

Ok XTGNRG has the right idea,thats basically what you have to do dump the recovery disc and reload using XPpro.Dont use any of the drivers for the dvd burner that came with it let windows do it,then use dvd shrink 3.0 and nero 6.......

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I didn't bother paying for the recovery disc (I thought that if I get into any trouble I can borrow someone else's windows cd, as that's what I've done with Windows 98 many times - though my old Time PC did actually come with a backup cd) but i didn't bother reformatting the disc and installing xp pro. Though I may do that at some point later on, I do have a slight hardware issue with it, and if I spend the fortune to take it back to them to repair it I would rather it be how they set it.

The SW9581 drive I have only actually used so far as a combo drive (cd writing and dvd reading). I haven't tried writing a dvd with it, though I'll be doing that soon.

The DVD-RAM drive in the time system is DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW compatible, up to 4x speed. I have chosen to avoid faster discs and also any DVD+ format discs just to be sure. The discs I will buy will probably be Panasonic ones since they are essentially the ones who make the drive.

To be honest, I think software is the problem for people here. Outdated Drivers and writing software by the wrong people, is the main cause for issue here I think. The software i use is Nero 6UE though I haven't tried writing dvds yet as i've stated. My first written cd was a failed disc using the pinnacle software (hence my claim above) and so I immediately changed to nero 6 Ultra edition and have had no problems with cds since.

5. rybes

rybes Member

Okay, I have the said Time PC and the Matsushita 9581.
    I also have the reload CD.
    Yesterday, after visiting this forum I purchased some TDK DVD-RW (1-2x).
    I reload the PC and take Pinnacle off and put an OEM of Nero 6 on.
    The TDK-RWs aren't even recognised!
    I put in a Packard Bell DVD-R (I usually am able to write these through Ulead Videostudio 8) Nero doesn't recognise it!?
    However, I use Uleadvideo Studio (it also does not recognise the TDK DVD-RWs!) and it burns home movie footage to the Packard Bell DVD-R!?

The burnt DVD-R plays in my home DVD player and the other DVD ROM in my PC. BUT (here's the weird/frustrating thing!? Neither Windows XP nor Nero 6 actually recognise the burnt DVD-R!

WHY ARRGH!?

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

OK, Since I've been using Ritek 2X (Will also burn at 4X in other drives) with this drive, I've had no problems at all. Lynxdv.com sell them at a good price.
    Also at blankdiscshop.co.uk

7. rybes

rybes Member

Can you use the TDK-RWs in yours?
    What's your PC spec?
    Which version of Nero do you use?
    Do you possibly know which version of the DVD burner driver you have?

Which Ritek disks!?

Ritek Arita Branded 1-2X DVD-R - Spindle of 25 Discs
    Ritek Arita Branded 8X DVD-R - Pack of 25 Discs
    Ritek Branded 4X DVD-R - Spindle of 25 Discs

Sorry to be picky - but I'm want to know exactly which ones cos I'm fed up with giving away money for coasters!

thanks again for your recommendation,

ryan

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely panasonic discs are a safe bet, since the matshita SW-9581 is actually a panasonic drive?

9. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

DVD-RW's I've used successfully are; Traxdata & verbatim. (In fact the only ones I've tried). Ritek discs:
    http://www.lynxdv.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_45
    Top of page.(Sez 4X but they are also 2X) As I said Blankdiscshop also sell them. I downloaded the latest drivers (Said for DVD-RAM which confused me a bit) about 6 weeks ago. Though to be honest, the above discs were being used OK already. They seem to be comapatible with most set-top players too.
    Using Nero express 5.5 & Ulead DVD workshop 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2004
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just wrote a TDK DVD-R 4.7GB One side at 2x (2770KB/sec) using Nero 6 burning rom, WITH pinnacle still installed, dormant.

Glad to say, 100% success! (touches wood)

11. lbeck

lbeck Member

This has somehow morphed into a thread discussing hardware and media. I'm interested in getting the Panasonic/DVD-RAM VRO format onto DVD-Rs. Sammorris, did you go from DVD-RAM->Pinnacle->Nero->DVD or are you describing an event that doesn't involve VRO? I use Studio 9 for my editing but have to get my DVD-RAM into that software first.

Anyone here using any freeware/shareware/techniques other than MovieAlbum SE to do the VRO->VOB translation (or VRO->MPEG)?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]
    Lee[/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey, I only came here to see what would work for my purpose (writing DVDs) and i have solved my problem. If anyone else would like to know, i have my solution below

System: TIME Powerstation S3809 3000xp+ with SW-9581 DVD Multi recorder (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM)

I managed to successfully burn a TDK DVD-R Data/Video Single Sided Single Layered DVD disc without a problem. Only the pinnacle suite was preloaded on the computer. I installed Nero 6 Ultra Edition without uninstalling pinnacle and it worked fine. Hope this helps people out...

13. jemj

jemj Member

Question directed at Arthur.S re the Lynxdv site.
    They say that they guarantee the LynxMedia Inkjet Printable 4X DVD-R (spindle of 25 discs) which are manufactured by Ritek, under the "LynxMedia 2 for 1 replacement" guarantee..., which means that should any of these discs fail you during burning they will replace them with two more free of charge.
    Are these the ones you use?
    Do you think this guarantee would apply to us?
    At 43p a disc this seems like a good option if so.

Or are the ones you use the Ritek Branded 4X Speed DVD-R (the purple ones in a spindle of 25 discs)? These are also covered by the same guarantee.

This is what they say under FAQs
    Do you supply a Guarantee on Recorable Media?
    Yes of course we do, we always have, it's not something new.
    We guarantee that the Media will be compatible with equipment displaying the respective Recordable DVD logo specific to that format, if you experience problems recording to the media, this may be any number of things that are causing the problem, it is unlikely to be the media, and usually a firmware upgrade will fix the problem.

If you do experience failures when recording, please stop using the media and contact us for assistance, we will replace media that fails due to manufacturing problems but we cannot replace media that failed because you were using the wrong firmware, so please if you experience record failures, contact us and stop using the discs until your told to continue by one of our Support Staff.

Not sure if this is the same as the guarantee mentioned above or not.

What do you think?

14. jemj

jemj Member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, if lots of people have a time pc with this drive they should theoretically have the MSI MS-6775 (KT600) motherboard. Has anyone other than me experienced troubles regarding USB on this board?

16. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

I use the Ritek discs.

17. TheLatics

TheLatics Member

Oh my god this thread is amazing. The only reason I bought a Time PC (the same as most of the users on this thread) was that they offer buy now pay 12mths.

As for burning on this 9581 drive, I only came up with a problem last weekend when I bought 25 Datawrite Yellow (V2) DVD-R disks, for £9. It just won't write to them, but (and this is the strange bit) it DID write 2 of them sucessfully??

Before that I was using Orange disks with no name on them, but with black raised lettering and a 3mm black band round the edge. The have the web address on them as www.dvd-recordable.org. These cost me £8 for 25 from a Saturday market and worked 99% of the time.

Needless to say, I'm off there Saturday morning to trade these yellow ones for the older Orange 'uns.

I also bought some Bulkpaq Orange Generation 4, but they wont have it either, so I think it is an age thing, like trying to get an old car to run on Unleaded!!

I've upgraded the firmware to V1.02 but that did nothing.

Hope this helps, and I'll post again on Saturday when I see if the older disks work or whether I bin the drive and fork out for a new one.

18. Space6982

Space6982 Guest

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know, the drive performs fine with any TDK disc, providing it is the right sort.

20. TheLatics

TheLatics Member

Just figured that the orange disks I mentioned one reply but one ago are,
    Ritek Tango Overprint disks. £8 for 25 from the web address on the post above this one.