1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matshita dvd-ram sw-9581 with vob

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by madskull, Apr 24, 2003.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rest assured, when they are available and cheap i am going to get a 16x DVD writer, mainly so it doesnt take seven minutes to write a cd.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

One of the things that cause incompatability issues is speed! same with CD-R. I burn at no more than 2X, even with my 'other' burner - a 107. 16X? forget it!
    I think that the slower speed allows the burner to make better data into the dye.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pish posh, the 52x CD writers at school have written to many many disc types without problem, including:

4x TDK CD-RW (4x)
    12x Supercolor CD-R (24x)
    48x Verbatim CD-R (52x)
    12x Imation CD-R (24x)

DVDs maybe, but not CDs.

4. codechimp

codechimp Member

I also bought a Time Powerstation with the gimpy Matshita drive. I cannot get it to work with anything on the DVD front. Zilla Rip n' Burn won't even recognise it because it doesn't support +R/+RW! Really this drive is toilet.

All I want to do is rip my DVD's and then convert them to DivX (not used that before either) so I can have thme on my laptop when I'm travelling. Can any one tell me how the hell I can achieve this with this pox-ridden hunk 'o' junk?

The shame of it is the rest of the PC is OK - 1 gig of Ram, good HDD, good graphics etc. event he price was good (when I bought it). Its just let down by a rubbish DVD burner and the extortinate delivery charge (£50 my bum! I've sent far heavier items for less. And I didn't even have a monitor!!).

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

Sam, the speed issue with CDRW is well documented. A simple search on Google will throw up many results. It will mostly show with video/music discs.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't actually seen many drives around that use +R and +RW along with -RAM yet, tough I'm sure there are some, but why don't you find out what the drive's capabilities are before buying gyppo software that doesn't even recognise it?

If you use a reputable burning software such as Nero, and good brands of DVD-R/RW/RAM discs you shouldn't have any problems.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Okay to all users with the SW-9581 here is a list i have obtained (though not complete) of all the media found to not or possibly not work with this drive.

here goes...

Any DVD+ media (obviously not)
    Bulkpaq Orange 4x DVD-R (possibly not)
    Traxdata / RITEK 4x DVD-R (possibly not)
    Princo 4x speed DVD-R (possibly not)
    Datawrite 4x yellow DVD-R (possibly not)
    All DVD-RW media (possibly not)
    but also, in DVD-RW, Traxdata 1x DVD-RWs are out of the question.

The possibly nots are related to firmware updates. Some work with some media, others don't...

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

I've been using a traxdata -RW since I've had the drive - always worked OK!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

single speed? because according to this site, they've never worked, with or without firmware updates. a 2x disc or something might work, but apparently, 1x doesn't.

10. go4it

go4it Guest

So Packard Bell DVD-R & DVD-RW 1 x speed are all useless for copying movies?

Can someone please therefore give clear instructions on how best to use this drive and backup movies DVD to DVD, starting with best DVD's to buy (& their speed) and then exact software to use and how?

All new to me so appreciate any and all advice.

11. TheLatics

TheLatics Member

I have found the following;

Bulpaq orange only work occasionally

Ritek Tango orange (deep orange colour with black raised lettering) work 100% of the time. These disks don't say Ritek on them.

I use DVDShrink to rip DVD's which works 99% of the time, but failing that use DVD Decrypter.

To burn I use Clone DVD.

All these can be found for free using Kazaa.

DVD Shrink can be found from their website,

www.dvdshrink.org

DVD Decrypter from www.dvddecrypter.com

12. TheLatics

TheLatics Member

Also, forgot to mention,

Tango disks are 4x and cost me £8 for 25. My local market had some lads selling them at £14 which made me laugh, but these are from another Saturday market where you get guys selling copied DVD's (eg The Village - not even at pictures yet), copied PS2 games, Top 40 albums on a single DVD, and then a stall selling all the tools to make these copies (disks, labels, cases, paper).

This is in Manchester but I bet the same occurs all over the UK.

Even Ebay has these disks for £8.50 including postage on the following link;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11163&item=5115149076&rd=1

13. Arthur.S

Arthur.S Guest

Sam, yes 1 speed. This drive only burns -RW's at 1 speed anyway. 2X for -R's

14. go4it

go4it Guest

What about Panasonic 4x DVD-R from PC World or TDK DVD-R 1-4x from Maplins? Both single sided. Sure I know they won't be the cheapest but are these any good?

I've tried the Packard Bell DVD-R & DVD-RW but they won't play in my DVD (Lecron DVD-1000).

Thnx

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

do they play on the pc or don't you have a decoder?

It's 2x1?? Man, that's even worse than i thought!!! So what must RAM be? 0.6???

16. go4it

go4it Guest

sam, is that addressed to me?

17. go4it

go4it Guest

if you were addressing to me then, yes, they do play on the pc just not on my dedicated dvd.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like your DVD player might be a bit dodgy then, because i never heard of the make of your DVD player. if they work on that shoddy drive in the pc, they should work in a dvd player!!!

But 2x1. Honestly. That's definiotely getting upgraded!! When one comes out, i fancy an LG or Pioneer 12x Dual layer one, or maybe even 16 if they come out soon!

19. patherton

patherton Member

Can someone please let me know where I can download working drivers for this DVD Burner.. I had this up and running until around 2-3 months ago, when it suddenly stopped writing and then reading any type of DVD's.. It now only reads CD's..

Alternatively if someone could send me thir drivers to patherton74@hotmail.com it would be much appreciated..

Cheers,

Paul

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not touching mine, for fear of breaking it!!