1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max. file size using full disc mode without quality loss

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by karatone, Sep 5, 2004.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I have been using Dvd2one in movie-only mode for over a year with great results and just recently have started toying with full-disc mode. After using dvd decrypter (select all files) my files are around 4 gb. and up to 8 gb. after ripping. When using Dvd20ne full disc mode ,what is the maximum file size useable before i might get a loss in overall quality? I only select english language and when ever avaliable I'll select both DTS and 5.1 audio . How big are the audio files? Can I use both audio files without causing much quality loss? Could someone give me a general guideline to go by ? If I'm over the limit on file size using full disc I'll opt for movie-only instead of getting a loss in quality, I just need to know how big is too big when it comes to files. any info. would be appreciated, thanks

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

karatone

Technically you suffer a loss of quality with any compression but often its not visible. It's always best to remove as much as possible before transcoding, especially if you're talking about an 8 gig movie. Dvd2one does pretty good with files below 7 gigs but with an 8 gig movie I can almost guarantee artifacts. You might do better to download DVD Shrink which is free because it has adjustments that affect the quality of a large transcoded file. Many have used it to Backup LOR III which is not only a large file but also a long running file of 200 minutes with satisfactory results.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  3. karatone

karatone Regular member

do you think the use of both audio 5.1 and Dts will cause a big difference in quality?

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

karatone

My advice is to keep the 5.1 and get rid of the DTS, they're usually close to a half a gig by themselves and that's quite a savings.