1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max motherboard slots

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by newfiedog, Jan 26, 2012.

1. newfiedog

newfiedog Member

I am researching how to build my first computer and was wondering if any one has advice on a motherboard and video cards. I want to build a computer with multi-monitor support. And by multi-monitor support i mean 16 to 24 monitors. I plan on starting off with 4 to 8 monitors and increasing the video cards as needed. Is there a rackmount motherboard that has many slots for video cards that i can use. I would prefer just a regular mother board. Are the usb to dual hdmi adapters worth buying. Or will a dvi splitter work.

Thanks for any advice.

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

If you are serious about having a living room wall size monitor array, look into Extended ATX specification motherboards. There is one that has 7 pci-express slots. Also, Radeon cards that have eyefinity allow up to 6 displayport monitors on a card. Kind of like the VisionTek 900373. It is a double stack, so, effectively you may be able to get 4 (if in the right kind of case, I think) of these eyefinity cards in the there. Hardware-wise, unless you find more ideal hardware, you are looking at a max total of 24 monitors. Display port monitors are rarer and more expensive, but I think there are adapters. You also would need to chain a couple (at least) brutish PSU's to have it happen. Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012