1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell DVDRs ? A huge question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by gerard514, Feb 4, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I have noticed that after i burned a movie or two that some of them tend to have this little abnormal color about the size of a dot in them. What would most likely this mean. By the way maxell's dvds have that purple dye on the bottom before i burned anyhting on to those disk i notice that at the edge there were some spots very small missing. Is this normal? How can i ensure that i dont burn the movies all the way to the end dvd shrink set the compression to about 4,464 m i think but its around there.

Main concern tho is those tiny dots i see on a dvd its only about 1 dot and on dodgeball for example i notice a small swiggly line within the data.

2. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

sorry but i forgot to include is the current setting on dvd shrink good, or should i compress it a little more to get away from the edge.

2))))
    And does anyone else use maxell, or has anyone have any complaints against them.

3. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I personally have burned over 600 Maxell DVD's and have had very few...I mean very few....10 if that coasters. Genuine Authentic Maxell DVD's is Grade A media.

You may have a bad batch or fake Maxell. You should see if you can still return them.

4. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

What is the term coasters that you use?

5. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Does coasters mean bad sectors withing the disc?

2))))
    Another question is about dvd labeling. How do some people label their disc.
    Should i purchase verbatium discs over maxell?

Thanks for the help.

6. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

a coaster is just a term used to describe a disc that didn't burn properly for whatever reason. so it's only good to use as a coaster to set your drink on.
    i use maxell and verbatim dvd-r discs and i've noticed the tiny little dots on a couple of my maxells. when i burn one and notice it has the spot and check it for errors on dvdinfo, it shows errors on the disc. personally, i like them both. u can usually find better deals on maxells but if i had to choose one i'd probably go w/ verbatim.
    as far as labeling the discs, i just write on them w/ a sharpie. i don't mess around w/ the adhesive label stuff. afraid it might screw up playback at some point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey gerard514: set your burn target to 4300 mbs.

Open up dvd shrink/edit/preferences: Here click on dvd-5 and scroll till you get it set to "custom"/enter 4300 mbs/ok.

If that helps you out,you can gradually up that target to 4360.

Your backup target will stay there "4300". Seeing as you are getting dots on the outer edge of those maxell's,the reduced size will fix that issue. It will put a little more compression on that backup,but it shouldn't be noticeable.

Maxell uses mostly good manufacturers. I keep my target at this custom level to prevent problems like you are having on that outer edge.

If you want to label those backups, the epson 200 r thermal printer is the best way to go. You have to have White thermal printable media and the printer runs about $100. Paper labels are a bad idea,many people having problems with them.
    Sharpies for me until I get that epson printer.

Coasters also make great trapshooting targets.

I am curious as to which manufacturer made those maxell discs you are burning.Download this free handy program to get the code. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Verbatim discs over maxell? Your code will tell us who made those discs.I like verbatim,but when I buy media,I make sure it is made in Japan. Most of my -r maxell's are made in japan. Verbatim uses different manufacturers also. So it is hard to tell which one they used.Cmags are sometimes used,very bad manufacturer.I haven't had any trouble with the verbatim +4x and +8x.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Maxell -R is manufactured by Maxell and Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi products have a good rep. Maxell manufactured media is a bit more questionable. I've used a lot of Maxell, but none of the Maxell manufactured media. I've used the +R which in the past has been Ricoh media. Taiyo Yuden, another good manufacturer, also makes +R Maxell media. I always check the manufacture codes when I purchase media. DVDInfoPro is my choice of programs. However, the free DVD Identifier is easier to use if all one wants to know is the code.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Appears TY and MCC are making the Verbatim as well as the Maxell. CMC is in the mix but to a relatively small degree and supplies the cheaper end of the line. Ricoh made some of the Verbatim. So, Verbatim has both good Taiwanese and Japanese manufacturers.

10. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

[bold]brobear[/bold]

My Maxell -R's ("yellowtops") are RITEK (Taiwan). I bought these after seeing several here recommend them. Every one I've burned (a dozen or so) had crc read errors from the burn. (I burned at the rated speed, 4X.)

I'd think maybe my Sony DRU 710A just doesn't like them, but I get flawless burns with Memorex 4X -R's (PRODISC) and Taiyo 4X -R's (of course).

So either I got a bad batch, or the RITEK are not as good as some claim.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bazilla, my last batch of maxell yellowtops were also ritek go4. They seem to be ok in my benq 1620 and play great on my stand alone players,like the rest of my maxell's,no coasters. Even ripping them was easy.I was a little disappointed at first when I saw the made in taiwan sticker on the label after I bought them.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Most of the major brands sell media made in Taiwan, and a lot of it is excellent media. My favorite manufacturer is Ricoh (manufactures for many of the top brands) and that's a Taiwan disc. Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi are Japanese, but most of the other top manufacturers are Taiwanese.

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ive been hearing alot of talk about ritek. Is this a manufacture or is it another company like maxell vibitum memorex.etc.

Also i am looking to buy an epson in jet rx-300 i think it is which can print on to dvds cds with a printable media top like verbatim. Should i condisder switching to verbatim since they have the printable media tops for ink-jet printers? And how are epson printers?

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Ritek is both a brand and a manufacturer. Ritek (the manufacturer) supplies media for several top brands. Ritek (the brand) sells Ritek under the Ritek and Ritek-RiData brand. Ritek was also selling some Ricoh under the RiData brand in the +R offerings. Ricoh is another of those brand and manufacturer setups (a favorite of mine). Meritline is a top internet sales site for Ritek, you can check it out. They also have the printable media you're interested in. http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-plus-blank-media.html For Verbatim, the house manufacturer is Mitsubishi (MCC). Verbatim also sells media manufactured by other companies; Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh, and CMC. Other than the house products, manufacturers for brands can change quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2005
  15. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I was looking at the verbatium discs. THe model number is 94854 which is on their website. The are white tops and hub printing. These are the mitisubishi brands to or are they verbatium brand? Also to get the best print quality do you think the white top or shiny silver tops would be better.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Supply the link to the item and we'll take a look.

17. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Data Life Plus with the metal AZO dye. That's more than likely the Mitsubishi (MCC) media. For better photo printing with an inkjet, it's a no brainer to go with the white background if you're doing photo labels.

19. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Thats what i thought but wasnt sure. Thanks for your help. Where do you get the cd label graphics? Do you scan or get from a website?

thanks agian for the help

20. shark29

shark29 Member

I had one Verbatim spindle where just about every disc produced a tiny little dot at the same place on each disk. However, the discs played fine and so far I have not come across one that had any CRC errors on it using dvdinfopro. None of my other Verbatim spindles have ever done this. But luckily these discs turned out to be okay, at least so far. This spot was only visible after burning, not before burning.