1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell DVD's- Are They Any Good

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by MagnusD, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MagnusD

MagnusD Regular member

I noticed this offer over at SVP for 100 Maxell DVD-R's-

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2003

What I need to know is how good are the quality of these DVD's. I've heard good thing about them in the past but I'd like to hear what the opinion is here from anyone who's used them before.

Thanks

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

While I have'nt used the maxell 16x mentioned - I have used many 8x Dvd-r Maxells manufactured by Ritek for maxell and found them rather decent disc ! No not in the same league with verbatim and Taiyo yuden but decent media none the less ! In your particular case I think as long as they are'nt substituting CMC for the riteks you should be fine ! from what I understand the Stateside Maxells are CMC in the 16x speed dvd-r But being the vendor your shopping says they are ritek you should be okay ! hope this helps !

3. MagnusD

MagnusD Regular member

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll be snapping up a pack of these now since it's 99p delivery. 100 discs for £17 is pretty good.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i haven't used those but have been using the 16x +R ones, can't remember the exact MID code, i think they're RICOHJPNR03, very good so far, still working thru my first 100 though so that doesn't mean much, but i'm optomistic

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That site says Ritek-F1 so you should be ok MagnusD.

Creaky: I got a 50 pk of +16x maxells just to pow around with. These coded as CMC MAG=M01-000 and I can see a huge difference with the playback.

Those ricohs should be ok.Were they: RICOHJPN-R03 ?

I'll avoid the MIT spindles of +16x maxells just for the reason of possibly being cmags again.

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's a scan of a Maxell +16x,burned at 4x with my plextor PX-716A,Nero's disc quality scan using the Benq 1620 to do the scanning:

[​IMG]

My benqs avg 95 scores with Ty,Maxell hitach,Verbatim, 94 scores with Sony D21,and Mid 70 scores with Fuji Prodisc. Playback issues also increased.

8. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

The problem with Nero quality score is that the implementation if very stupid - only affecting factor is the max PIF value. This way a single spike will ruin the result, while in real life it is meaningless.

Your scan looks pretty good, and is consistent with our scans.

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Number 1 rule is to look out for "MADE IN JAPAN" and you'll be safe. If it's made somewhere else beside "Made In Japan," then I would never buy it period.

Yes, they're good, especially Hitachi Maxell, they're 1st class media and on par with the famous YUDEN and VERBS. However, you got to get your hands on the good stuff which were made by HITACHI Maxell Ltd. That being said, don't just go out there and pick any Maxell (DVD-R or DVD+R) and thinking they're all good because you'll never know when your getting is actually CMC MAG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]