1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maxell Jp dvd-r 25 pks 8x on sale at office depot...Who made them?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by daimyo, May 2, 2005.

1. daimyo

daimyo Member

the -R's say MXL RG03, while the +R's say MAXELL 002.

They BOTH said made in Japan near the barcode, which is reassuring, but I am wondering if anyone has any comments about these particular ID's, and also who makes them.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  2. swervin

swervin Regular member

Those are made by Maxell. They are great discs. I used a ton of the -R 4x's with the code MXL RG02. Never a bad burn.

Mike

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I know the Maxell-002's are made by Hitachi of japan. These are the +8x maxell's with the lable stating Made in Japan.Super media,12x burn capability in my benq's.Also,they are made in taiwan. I will get the mfg code.

Mxl-rg03, These are made in japan,but not quite sure if they are Made by Hitachi. These are on the newer Maxell -8x gold tops. However,the taiwanese maxell -8x gold tops are showing as Ritek-g05's. All very good quality media.

I'd take any maxell's any day. Look at all their manufacturers:
    Ritek/Taiyo yuden/ Hitachi/Ricohjpn.Not a crappy one among all their manufacturers.

Edit, I had a spindle of maxell +8x,made in taiwan 50 pack spindle and I just cracked it open. Dvdinfopro says they are Ritek-R03's. I have not run into any ritek-plus format codes,but they should be very good.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  4. daimyo

daimyo Member

Thanks for the info!
    More and more I am finding that my old (well, last year's model) liteon
    sohw 812 LOVES these MCC Verbatim 8x, I burned one of each kind of the Maxell's noted above,and while they gave good results, they weren't as good as the TYg02/Fujis even...and those were beat out by the MCC's.

this is all based off of kprobe scans, for what it's worth.

5. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

saugmon, if only that were entirely true. I bought five 25-pack Maxell dvd-r discs a couple of months ago at Office Depot (San Francisco) and they turned out to be...CMC. That's right, stinking CMC. Complete crap (8 bad discs out of the first batch, took the rest back). My own fault, however. The -r discs said "Made in Taiwan" and the +r ones were from Japan. Hopefully they don't deal with that particular plant in Taiwan at all anymore.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've bought many spindles of maxell both plus and dash formats from office depot in 15/25/and50 pack spindles. I haven't heard of anyone getting cmags from them.

What speed were they?

What were their actual mfg code?

I'm pretty much down to using plus format only because I booktype them to dvd-rom and the compatability is nearly 100% on my stand alones and other friends and family members. I do love those ricoh's and hitachi plus's. Just got a spindle of +8x made in taiwan that are ritek-r03's,I will be burning them shortly.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hey saugmon,

Back when I was useing branded ritek ridata dvd+r's and loved them cause they were usually ricohjpn, I got a batch of the ricoh r03's instead and even though I was disappointed at first because I didn't get ricohjpn's, the r03's never let me down either. I'll bet you will find they are good to go. I've still got about 70 left from a 100pk cakebox but as you know, I now primarily use verbatum +r hub printables. Later

Mort